231 Upgrades

2000roo

Here I am again with more questions. I am basically rebuilding this whole jeep. Should I rebuild the 231 with stronger parts or get a different t-case? I am wanting a good t-case for the least amount of cash. What are my options?
Thanks
Keith

I also just found out that I have to completely rebuild my D-30 front axle. Is it worth the rebuild? Remember cash is the problem. It needs ball joint and u-joints. So if I have to do that I might as well go through the whole thing. Input?

You can use some of the parts from the Dodge truck 231 and you get a 1 1/4" chain verses 1" and 6 gear planetaires. I rebuilt my 30 several times and now I'm running tons but that's me. The 30 can be made pretty strong and you have the high pinion version, I say give it an overhaul. Ball joints and u-joints are cheap.

You can also go to 4.1 gears in the t-case but not really worth the cash. About 200 less than an Atlas. I got the 2-Lo but found it to be pretty worthless. If you don't have a SYE now is the time.

d30 is worth rebuilding if you're planning on staying with 33" tires. Consider upgrading the axleshafts to '95+ due to the larger ujoints.

I upgraded my 231 with the following, on the cheap:
Wide chain and sprocket kit
6-gear planetary
both can be found in a 231c or 231d or 233c.

Super-short SYE
2lo kit

4:1 is not worth it in the 231, it has pretty low RPM limitations. Otherwise it's a good transfer case worthy of upgrading.

also, I am going with the x15 instead of the Peugeot. When I rebuild the tcase what input spline should I use?

Back