Wiper Blades

gardengirl38

Since purchasing my jeep it seems like I go through wiper blades like crazy. I have tried all the brands at the local AutoZone and they are crap. Does anyone have a brand they really like or get decent performance from?

Funny, I was going to post this same thing at some point:lol: The only blades I've had good luck with were the factory originals. They lasted a couple of years. All the rest have failed quickly. It must be the quality of the rubber (or lack thereof) . I put a set of Bosch one piece composite blades on my wife's car and they are great. They are about three years old and still good. Autozone did not have the Jeep size version of this blade, unfortunately. I meant to look on line but have not yet. I'll try to find out if they make them - my last set of cheapies is nearly shot too so I could use a new set. - John

I bought a set of the Rain X blades after my dad had good luck with them on his Impala, but they were ok at best after the first week or so for me.

The rain x blades have been the best on mine so far. Although I've only had them on a couple of months, they still wipe perfectly. No streaks, etc.

I usually buy two sets a yr. One for monsoon season, and one in the winter. Don't know what causes yours to fail but the heat kills mine and just about anything else rubber or plastic, no matter what brand.:twisted:

I have Rainex on mine right now and they still wipe OK but they have both taken a set in the off position and no longer flip over with each swipe. They are about 6 months old. This causes a horrible chatter noise (which even I can't stand for too long - and I can listen to a Cummins sing it's song for hours and enjoy it :D ) .

Grrrrrrrrr-UNK... eeeenik

AAAAHHHHHHH !! good thing my hair is really short or it would all be gone by now :shock: - John

I recently went to Michelin blades from Wally-Mart on our cars. Like them so far. Not the Jeep yet because we just got it and it had new blades.

Saw this on a TV show a while ago and it works like a charm:
Wash the vehicle normally, then scrub the windshield with Bon-Ami cleanser. This is the ONLY cleanser that will not scratch the glass. Don't use Comet, Ajax, or whatever.
Rinse it well and dry it.
Apply two coats of Rain-X.

My last two pairs were the Rain X brand because when i was in the store I couldnt remember which i had on there --- unfortunately I bought a second set of Rain X !! uggg. They work great for about a month or so for me. I have the god awful scraggging noise if its not pouring after one swipe, which by the way does not even swipe all the water off like you might expect with a noise like that. I go through three a year I think. Not that I couldnt use them more than that. It does rain a lot here and the heat melts them both in summer and if I use my heat for a long time they will seem to melt right through the glass from the heater and leave rubber smears.

I definitely will try the rain X treatment after cleaning really good see if that helps any. I think as long as you rain x your windshield you get good performance in the rain with any blades. Its just a matter of actually doing the work he he.

I put 2 coats of rain x on the windshield and use Bosch wipers.Rarely do I need the wipers with the rain x on the window,except for when I am playing i nthe mud.

The trick with using Bon-Ami cleanser is that it gets the road grit off the windshield and then the Rain-X works even better.

quadratec i think, sells a silicone wiper that i will try when mine give out--a little pricey but may be worth it--maybe someone else will post that has tried them--

They all last about the same it seems. The trick is to keep them and the windshield clean. Wipe the wipers off with vinegar or windex every once in a while. Rain-x on the windshield helps too.

try putting that orange rain x washer fluid in you washer bottle spay it a few times on windsheild its got somthing in it that saves your blades and keeps wiper blades from making that god awful screech when windsheild isnt very wet

I swear by this stuff and also helps taking off all the winter road grim from the windsheild

try putting that orange rain x washer fluid in you washer bottle spay it a few times on windsheild its got somthing in it that saves your blades and keeps wiper blades from making that god awful screech when windsheild isnt very wet

I swear by this stuff and also helps taking off all the winter road grim from the windsheild

Yeah, I use that stuff. I'm using a set of cheapish ($19 per wiper) Bosch wipers. I put em' on about ... May of this year, right after I bought the Jeep. I have a YJ so my wipers actually rest on the windshield. The wipers still work good.

Use the new Bosch (Evolution, not the Icon$) and make sure no cracks in the window (I had a customer today ask why the wipers he bought last week didn't last. One look and I could tell the number of rock chips was higher than his IQ, and he was no dummy!)

Do NOT use the squeegee at the gas station! People use it to clean the gas spill off the side of their car! The petrochemicals eat the blades in no time! (Especially MTBE and the alcohol)

The trick with using Bon-Ami cleanser is that it gets the road grit off the windshield and then the Rain-X works even better.

This is an old and useful trick in the antique car crowd. There is invisible film that can get on glass and glass cleaner does not remove it.

BTW DO NOT use ANY OTHER 'scouring cleaner'. Ajax etc WILL ruin your windshield. Only use the Bon Ami product.

OK on the jeep, I use what ever is cheapest, But I rainx the windshield. On the dakota I use michelin and rain x. On the Tractor (Freightliner) I use michelin and rain X. Rain X helps no matter what. Jeep blades are replaced once a year, pick up twice a year and big truck every 3 months

Back