1977 cj7

INTENT777

Can anyone tell me if the 700r4 trans with the factory GM transfercase will fit in the CJ7? I picked up a 1988 GMC Suburban with the 5.7l and will be putting it the CJ. Also, how about an axel conversion from the 1/2 ton suburban to the cj, good or bad idea? :shades:

Attachments

• 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 684
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 586

if your swapping the motor, the transmission and t-case can also get swapped in. I would position the motor as far foward as possible. problem is that depending on what year the suburban is, the T-case may not be very desirable. If it were me, I would use the 5.7, 700r4, and either source a D300 or re-use your d20 (if thats what you have)

as for the axles, keep what you have. I am guessing your suburban is a 87-91 frame, the 12 bolt rear is marginally stronger than your m20, 1 piece chromo shafts and your rear is stronger, plus better gear selections and more aftermarket support. The 10 bolt front axle in the suburban would best be used as a boat anchor. small shafts, joints, and ring gear, little gear selection and little to no aftermarket support. (JUNK) your D30 in stock shape is a better and stronger than a 10 bolt.

Now I am making assumptions on your vehicles equipment based onthe limited info you provided

also if your parting out the rest of the suburban, could you measure the rear springs eye to eye, I might be interested in them. (should be 53")

only thing besides moving motor forward will bee the tail shaft will need the shorter one but yes should fit in the cj7 like a glove also advance adapters has a nice set of motor mounts to help bring motor forward with the right slant and tilt of motor for clearence purposes Ill post a link in a few soon as I find it in my archives

Thanks for the info. If anyone has any other feed back in regards to this conversion I would love to here it. I am planing on a semi restoration as well. :shades:

Back