'73 CJ5 Trans swap.

Lucihale

Hello gentlemen (and some ladies),
I've got a '73 CJ5 with an AMC 232 mated to the stock (I BELIEVE it's stock) 3 speed transmission. I would LIKE to put a 5 speed in there instead, however I'm not sure what would be the best to attempt. Price IS an issue, but I understand that it's not going to be a CHEAP adventure either. I assume there will be the changing of bell housing, maybe clutch parts, drive shafts, etc. but I'm really interested to see what it's going to take. I've heard that some Fords will bolt on pretty happily with a new bell housing, but I've never done a swap, so I dunno.

There's no rush here as my current trans is in a happy state of being, so feel free to throw in your educated opinions as well as any helpful facts! I look forward to the reading and research it's going to take! That's the beauty of winter in the Adks. THANK YOU ALL.

PS! I DID search this on the forum, but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for, if there is a thread about this trans swap for the 232 please direct me there!

did a 4.3 / sm465 swap in my 3b
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

I like the 4 speed with 1st gear with a 6 to 1 ratio granny gear for climming

image-missing.png

I keep hearing T-18. Am I going to be modifying (replacing) my drive shafts?

The short answer is yes. If stock, your transmission should be a T14 which has a 9-11/16” box and the T18s are 11.9” plus the required transfer case adaptor puts you at just under 13”; too long to not modify your drive lines.

I’m not sure what your mission is here as you asked about a 5 speed. Are you looking for low range gearing or an overdrive? In my mind, there is no suitable overdrive transmission option available for an AMC I6/V8 CJ5 due to short rear driveline issues.

If you want lower gearing, the swap is fairly easy. From 1972 to 1979 Jeep offered the T18 transmission behind the AMC I6. The T18 was only offered behind the AMC 304 CJ in 1979 as a factory option. The key is going to be finding the right transmission for your CJ as Jeep had 12 different versions of the T18 over the years. The easiest way to make the swap is to find a CJ version of course but a Ford T18 will also work. In a CJ from 1972 to 1975 the granny gear was 4.02. Part way through 1976 the change was made to a 6.32 1st, and is the most sought after version due to the lower 1st gear (lower crawl ratio) It is my understanding the T14 bell housing was an oddball length so a new one will be needed for the swap. A 1976 to 1979 CJ bell housing will work for either the CJ or the Ford T18. Try this link for more information about swapping the T18 into a CJ.

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/cjt18/

Back