kc windshield hinge light mounts

goldtj

i have a 2003 jeep tj,and asked santa for some kc daylighters and windshield hinge mounting brackets.my wishes came true,and now i have them!mounted them today,while freezing my tail off!holding out for better weather for wiring,no problem-i'm a pro at that!my question is-what is the coolest,trickest way to pass the wires through?i loosened up the cowl trim,and temporarily ran them through the crack,but it looks like dook,and that's not how i roll!anybody have any secrets to divulge?the metal shrouding is only so long,and doesn't hit any part other than immediately below the windshield!

Interested in this myself... got some SlimLites to mount, haven't decided if I'm going windshield or bumper. Santa brought me a bumper hoop for mounting, but it's a 3 light rig and I've only got two lights.

I just folded the windshield forward and ran the wires in between the rubber seal beside the hinge. I cut the wire loom to stop at the windshield. I'll try to get a pic some time soon to help you out!

I just folded the windshield forward and ran the wires in between the rubber seal beside the hinge. I cut the wire loom to stop at the windshield. I'll try to get a pic some time soon to help you out!

I did pretty much the same thing. Just 2 points to watch out for:

1. Make sure the cables go in from the side (otherwise, when driving in rain, water WILL find its way inside the cab!). Also use some silicone to all around the cable BEFORE you fold the windshield back up to make sure it seals properly and avoid leaks.
2. If you need to drill a hole (I did on the passanger side; I used the windshield wiper cable hole for the drivers side, but that is on a YJ), paint the hole to prevent rusting.

By the way, I ended up relocating mine because they interfered with my snorkel, but I REALLY liked them on the winshield mount (less glare on the hood than the current hood mounts, and they did not interfere much with my vision as they do now).

This what i did, drilled a hole in that metal cover under the windshield, put the rubber thing that came with the lights and your good to go, heres a pic

Attachments

• DSCN0562.jpg
    DSCN0562.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 3,628
By the way, I ended up relocating mine because they interfered with my snorkel, but I REALLY liked them on the winshield mount (less glare on the hood than the current hood mounts, and they did not interfere much with my vision as they do now).
Located on the wind shield only causes a blind spot for pedestrians at Wally word!!LOL How did you run the wires for the hood mounts?

This what i did, drilled a hole in that metal cover under the windshield, put the rubber thing that came with the lights and your good to go, heres a pic
I'll get a pic of mine soon. I didn't drill a hole in mine, just ran the two wires in between the rubber seal on the wind shield! I never even thought about drilling a hole.

ok,tj jeep-winner,winner,chicken dinner!that's what i was contemplating doing,and it definately looks cool,which is what i was after!i am very anal about such things as that,and for 18 years i did custom car audio,so i know what cool is!i just can't stand something running through the crack of anything,when a simple hole gives such a professional,finishing touch to the job!looks like i will be doing just as you did!thanks for all the tips!as for the obstruction of pedestrians,you are right on the money,blkrubi88-i noticed that one right away!i also have some hood hinge brackets,and soon will add a second pair there,but am having issues with twisting the torx holes out,and will likely have to drill some damaged bolts out!keep on jeepin'!

Attachments

• securedownload.jpeg
    securedownload.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 5,862
Last edited:

Hey man, the lights look good! I have not hit a pedestrian yet, at least on accident!!!LOL

thanks for the kudos!i don't have a garage,so i'm waiting on warmer weather to get the wiring done,but with 18 years of experience in my pocket,that is the least of my problems!i am going to do a superb wiring job with 4 gauge wire,and a power distribution block and such,to further accomodate when i add a winch and several more pairs of lights,and a viair compressor,and such!i don't play-i do it right the first time!

Located on the wind shield only causes a blind spot for pedestrians at Wally word!!LOL How did you run the wires for the hood mounts?.

Drilled a hole and used a grommet... Much like TJ_Jeep did on his.

Dont have any closeups, but you can get the idea from this one:

DSC001771-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back