Four wheel drive!!

Burger

Ok.... just got a good snow and have realized that my four wheel drive is having some issues? When put into fourwheel drive the indicator light will come on signifying that the vaccum line is good but dont mean that it is engaged.....so i disengage it put it back in and then it will engage but will disengage on its on? weird huh? so im thinkin that it could be a loose linkage and maybe the motor that engages the front spindle (its located under the passenger side on the front) might be bad? Could this be the problem and if so how do I adjust the linkage cable? thanks

most likely the CAD on the front axle is junk, extremely common for these to go, either replace or change to a cable unit, either bought or home made.

The 4wd light switch for your '95 YJ is on the front axle, the CAD fork slides over against the switch to turn the light on. So it's a good sign the light is coming on, means the shift fork is moving properly.

I would pull the vacuum lines off the front axle and check for good equal vacuum that switches between the two lines depending on 2wd or 4wd. The CAD is easily removed from the axle by removing 4bolts, don't worry about the minimal amount of gear oil that comes out. Then move the shift fork by hand and make sure it moves easily. You can also hook the vacuum up to the shift motor with it removed from the axle and watch it work.

The jeep will engage i want to say everytime but i rteally cant tell? Sometimes i feel it go in so i know it engaged! i had my buddy check to see if the front shaft was turning and it was, so i left in my drieway for a few min got back in and it dis-engaged somehow...but the light was still on. It doesnt take long neither......i just came up a hill on my driveway and it did fine but just after a min or two it came out and nearly wrecked me! When it starts to spin i can hear grinding coming from the front axle like it is trying to engage, but wont? It is like it is loosing the vaccum slowly, but the light remains on?

Sounds like the collar the shift fork moves isn't fully engaging. Pull the cover to the CAD cover and check to see if oil has gummed up in the splines and check for any damage to the splines that might have been caused by the grinding noise you heard.

If it is the shift motor then does that mean that there is a hole in the diaphram? Or could there be a vacuum leak? How does oil get gummed up inside the housing? What kind of oil do i need to relplace it when i take it off? Would it be easier to do away with the cad system and go to a lever system? Oh how about the 4X4 posi-lok system? Is that a pretty good system? thanks For the advice!

A posilok will take all the guesswork of the vacuum system out, and you will know it is engaged.

The oil that leaks out when you remove the disconnect is gear oil from the diff, don't worry about replacing it unless a lot comes out. Just pull the plug on the diff cover and top it off when done.

Whats causing this thing to partially engage? Has the shift motor got a diaphram in it that may have a pin hole in it causing it to loose pressure gradually but small enough to fully engage it instantaneously?

Hole is unlikely, probably weak vacuum leading to the disconnect, either a hold in the vacuum line or a broken line. I would pull both lines at the axle and feel for good vacuum as somebody shifts the jeep from 2wd to 4wd and back. Also remove the shift motor and make sure the fork moves freely, turn it upside down to check for any water in the vacuum part of it.

If you need 4wd often this time of year, you can move the shift collar by hand and install the vacuum disconnect upside down, this will keep the shift collar engaged. You can still select 2wd and 4wd with the lever, but the front pass. side axleshaft will always be engaged. Shouldn't cause any problems in 2wd as long as you don't have a locker in the front axle.

ok got a good vacuum on both sides when put into 4H and 2 wheel drive? It seems to be holding good too? does this mean its the shift motor seizing up?

Did you remove the disconnect and move the shift fork by hand? When you do, keep the vacuum ports pointed down and watch for water coming out.

replaced the shift motor and seems to have fixed the problem!! Thanks for the help guys!

Ok the problem is back! It worked great for a while and then all of a sudden it is acting up? It goes in then comes right out without warning! Transfer case maybe? How can I tell?

T-case is a direct mechanical link....probably not your problem. I would check for vac leaks. Make sure the "udder" on top on the T-case is on good. if it is, check the lines going down to the actuator. Start the motor (4wd engaged) and follow the lines down with some starting fliud. Spray little shots of it. If the RPM's pick up along the way, look into that area for a crack/leak of sorts. Later!

put the 4x4 posilock system in, and be done with any vacume issues.Also inspect your fork for any damage.

Back