Drivetrain Fluid Question, Tug is Lazy please help!

Tug-n-pull

I plan to go on the rack this week and change all of my drivetrain fluids. Transmission, x-case, and axels. What do I need to buy to do this. Ive never done this before so I am stupid on this topic. Any help will be great thanks in advance. Tug oh yea it is a 1987 YJ 4 banger 5 speed.

edited by: Tug-n-pull, Feb 04, 2003 - 12:17 AM[addsig]

For the T-case you will need two courts of ATF, and on mine the drain and fill plugs takes a 30mm socket. I plan on changing my front diff and transmission after I get paid on the tenth and I think I'm going to use the Redline MT-90 it seems to be highly recomended.[addsig]

Well tug on my rig I got Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid in the transmission AX-5 (takes 4 quarts). From all the different forums/topics/posts I have read this seems to be a very good choice for the AX5...its safe for the brass synchros and meets the actual DC part No. requirements of their oil ($15 quart)....the synchromesh fluid can be found at autozone for about $5 a quart. Oh and BTW I have absolutely NO problems with hard shifting in the cold with this fluid...its great!

Front and rear diffs have regular 75w/90 GL5 spec gear oil (can't remember what brand I used...mobil1 synthetic would be a good choice here)

The transfercase (NP231) has Dexron/Mercon III ATF fluid...takes 2 quarts.

Hope that helps ya out.
[addsig]

Jeeper89 Rayovac Thanks for the responce I will get out and get this stuff in the am and hope to get in later this week! Hat is off I mean it Tug[addsig]

YES Definitely go with synchromesh.... that shit is like heaven in a bottle... your transmission will forever love you if you use it. NOT A LIE[addsig]

after just changing both my diff's and both my buddy's GC diffs, i can tell you that you will need an OIL PUMP from an autoparts store to suck the old crap out with... it makes it look like you're jerking off your jeep... lol... but you gotta do what you gotta do. the sludge that came out was clumpy and disgustingly BLACK.[addsig]

after just changing both my diff's and both my buddy's GC diffs, i can tell you that you will need an OIL PUMP from an autoparts store to suck the old crap out with... it makes it look like you're jerking off your jeep... lol... but you gotta do what you gotta do. the sludge that came out was clumpy and disgustingly BLACK.
Would it also work to remove the cover? It seems like that would be easier, it would also allow you to scrape out
the sludge and replace the gasket while your doing it. I've never done it myself, so there is probably something
I'm missing.

Cooper.[addsig]

Hey Dingus My ol Jeep deserves a little extra from me by now. I don't mind if it dont! :-D I will most likly be takeing off the covers as I bet they have never been cleaned out in its life and I have a rear diff gasket bad anyway. Thanks again for all the advise! tug[addsig]

yeah... its definitely better to take off the cover, replace the gasket, and inspect everything inside there... there is a dip in the bottom of the case that you can put your finger into to see if there is any sediment from your gears wearing... this is where it would likely lay.. I just did mine last week and was happy to find that my black oil was clean of shavings and chunks. make sure you use permatex or some sort of RTV to gasket your diff... solid gaskets leak much more than liquid style... if you don't have a pump to refill your oil... get a tube and a funnel... run the tube from the fill hole and up to your bumper... then tie it somewhere (god bless zip-ties) to secure it vertical... then put the funnel into the end of the tube... get your oil nice and warm so it flows well... fill the funnel... go watch TV... in about 10 minutes, go fill the funnel again... go reroof the house.... fill the funnel again... maybe by the third or fourth time (maybe longer depending on funnel size) you should have oil flowing out of the fill hole... then pinch off the hose, pull it from the diff, and run it into an oil bottle... then plug off the hole, then claim your prize... I did this for my transmission as well... it saves a lot of bottle squeezin.[addsig]

Hey tug, yeah man remove the covers, not that hard and you'll be glad you did. My son works at a quick lube place and I let him do mine. I was afraid to ask what he put in it. But I trust him so it should be ok. Good luck hope the weather stays pretty for ya up there!!![addsig]

I'd go with removing the diff covers. My friend who is also my mechanic uses brake cleaner to clean out all the gears and crap inside the diff. As for refilling everything, if you don't have a pump you could try what I did....just don't get caught. I took my womans turkey baster (looks like a giant seringe) and used it to refill my transmission, t-case and diffs.....she still doesn't know it's missing, I guess I'll have to replace it before she notices.[addsig]

Back