funny sounds in the engine

freebird2

During heavy acceleration I seem to get a noisey clanking sound from the engine. It happens more often when the engine is cold and not completely warmed up, this a new sound and I'd like to get rid of it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Does it sound like "marbles in a blender" ? It might be pinging (spark knock) . Try filling up with mid grade or premium gas and see if it gets better. How many mile are on your spark plugs? When mine are worn (over 20K miles) I get bad pinging. Best of luck - John

I replaced all the plugs about 4k miles ago, It sounds more like a few marbles in a slow blender if that makes any since.
Thanks for the help.

Are the new plugs the right heat range? Trying a tank of high test gas might still be worth it for troubleshooting. That does sound like pinging to me. Mine makes the "slow blender ping" too. Pulling up a big hill mine will make a ping or two every half second or so. I back off the gas until the ping goes away (it's bad for the engine) and end up going slower. So far new plugs have fixed it for me. My engine has what looks like is a ping sensor on the side but I can't find mention of one in the manual. Best of luck - John

Got some new plugs and changed them out and still got the pinging. Gets pretty bad when I accelerate. Not sure whats going on my have to take it in to a mechanic next.

Do you loose power? Maybe missing from a clogged fuel filter? With the Ethanol in the gas they don’t last as long as they use to. Also, maybe a little water in the gas as Ethanol attracts water.

Oil level is good to go just changed it recently. It may be the gas I will fill it up with a higher grade when it is running low.

You may want to try some gas addative the stuff Chevron makes for almost everyone works for me, but my TJ sit around a lot.

Back