i had a wreck?

shall100

I managed to put my 2005 TJ on its side in a ditch this morning.
As I gathered my wits, the jeep stopped running.
Once the tow truck pull my jeep back up, I notice that there was oil leaking out of my gas cap.
Is there something that is seriously wrong or will trying to start it on level ground fix the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

The times I have put mine over (more than I care to remember) I always pull the spark plugs and turn it over a few times with them out before starting it. When on it's side or lid oil and what not can get in the cylinders and the pressure can bend a rod. Turn it over a few times put them back in and start it up. As to the oil from the gas cap not sure how that is possible.

Where does the rear differential/axle vent line terminate at? On my '03 Rubicon it is routed up under the rear fender next to the gas fill tube. I'm thinking if yours is the same it may have leaked gear lube around the fill tube that seeped past the gas fill tube onto the filler housing making it look like it was coming from the gas cap.

Crawl underneath the rear fender with a flashlight and pull the plastic trip flap out of the way. Take a look up and see if you can see (1) diff. vent line, and (2) signs of gear lube leakage.

I've roll my junk a couple times, I agree with Phil, probably was the rear axle vent.

also, like mentioned, pull the plugs and turn the motor over a couple times. be careful, oil might and will shoot out the plug holes and get you in the eye.

Which side was the jeep lying on? If it's the driver's side, I'd remove the throttle body and clean any oil out of it, and wipe excess oil you can reach inside the intake manifold.

It's not as bad if it lays on the pass. side as the intake will be higher than the engine.

Back