Exhaust Manifold, or Exhaust Pipe?

Operation 4x4

Hello all,
I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler and ever since I bought my TJ it always sounded like air was escaping from the bottom of the engine (on acceleration). Here is were the problem is, I cant pin-point where the problem is. It does sound like there is a hole where air is escaping but cant tell if its on the exhaust manifold, or on the exhaust pipe itself. Any help is welcome.

Thanks,
Chris

On a 4.0, it's common to see the exaust manifold crack where all the pipes meet before the flange, that's if you dont have the revised exaust manifold that has the flex tube on #1 and #6 pipe. Also check the manifold to pipe flange area and see if the flange bolts are loose.

< I cant pin-point where the problem is. >

cut a 3' piece of garden hose for a stethoscope... one end in your ear, the other chase the sound.
you can isolate sounds precisely with this tool

On a 4.0, it's common to see the exaust manifold crack where all the pipes meet before the flange, that's if you dont have the revised exaust manifold that has the flex tube on #1 and #6 pipe. Also check the manifold to pipe flange area and see if the flange bolts are loose.

No I don't think its the revised version; I see no flex tubing. Ill check the bolts, but if anything i might just get some headers. :D

If you end up finding out that your manifold has cracked we have a pretty good selection of replacement Jeep Exhaust Manifolds that have been strengthened in the problematic areas.

Back