Advice on YJ's

K.13

Im lookin to buy another jeep to drive while I work on my xj. Im thinking a YJ or TJ would bereally nice for the summer.
Im looking at a 1990 YJ, bone stock, 4 cylinder. I dont know too much about these Jeeps, though. Could yall give me any tips or advice on what to look for in one of these jeeps? Is the 4 cylinder worth buying? And how much work would it be to drop a 4.0 into it? Thanks for any help.

If you want a 4.0L, hold out and buy one, it's really not worth the time and expense to swap in a 4.0L just to have another run of the mill 4.0L jeep with a hacked up install.

The '90 2.5L uses TBI fuel injection, they switched to MPFI in '91 similar to the 4.0L and it makes quite a bit more power. The '91-'95 2.5L isn't a bad engine unless you run oversized tires without regearing the axles.

Thanks Bounty Hunter. Im planning on making my XJ my winter truck/trail rig. If I do get another jeep (preferably one of these models) I'd keep it mostly stock. Im not sure what the stock heigth and tire size is, but I know it's small. Most likely only put a 2.5 inch kit on it.... just for a somewhat respectable appearnce.
How is that 2.5 on a fairly stock YJ? Sey for the odd but very likely chance I hit some easy trials, does that engine have enough power to get it through? Also, what axles came in it? Are they the D30 and D35?
My Xj already has the h.o and afew exhaust mods, so Im not really looking for something with a whack load of power.

If you're not looking for power, the '91-'95 2.5L YJ does just fine. It has the d30 and d35 axles. You could run a 2.5" lift and 31" tires and get around just fine, that's a common and reliable setup.

The 2.5L 5spd has 4.11 axle gears, I swapped to 5.38 gears and the 2.5L moves my 36" swampers around just fine. I've done a few power mods to my 2.5L and it's fun to drive.

<Is the 4 cylinder worth buying? >

the original military spec under war conditions was a 4 cyl. it had to do with weight and fuel economy with capability under life or death circumstances.

Hollywood, Chip Foose, and Will Castro sell bling and hype for an income.

who do you believe?

If you're not looking for power, the '91-'95 2.5L YJ does just fine. It has the d30 and d35 axles. You could run a 2.5" lift and 31" tires and get around just fine, that's a common and reliable setup.

The 2.5L 5spd has 4.11 axle gears, I swapped to 5.38 gears and the 2.5L moves my 36" swampers around just fine. I've done a few power mods to my 2.5L and it's fun to drive.

Hey bounty__hunter

You can get 5:38 gears for a dana 30 or 35? and where can you get them? i was looking to get new gears and i can only find up 4:88 my tj is not a daily driver any more just a play toy... anyway just asking thanks.

Im lookin to buy another jeep to drive while I work on my xj. Im thinking a YJ or TJ would bereally nice for the summer.
Im looking at a 1990 YJ, bone stock, 4 cylinder. I dont know too much about these Jeeps, though. Could yall give me any tips or advice on what to look for in one of these jeeps? Is the 4 cylinder worth buying? And how much work would it be to drop a 4.0 into it? Thanks for any help.

if ya want a 4.0 wait for one. my friend just bought one with a 4.0 33"s for 3200$ not a spot of rust...

the 2.5's are good,, time to regear when ya hit 33's. the 30/35 combo works well for mild wheeling...

tips check for rust every were... pull up the carpet the driver's floor is always the worst.. no point in having 2 projects going at once.... your xj will drain your wallet

If you really do want a 4.0L and can't live without one, then I would keep looking. But the 2.5L is a good motor. Although the 2.5L is less powerful than the 4.0L, it is generally more reliable. Still, try to go for a '91 or later with MPFI. In fact, the best year is '95. You get an external clutch slave cylinder and a galvanized body/frame.

If you want a 4.0L, hold out and buy one, it's really not worth the time and expense to swap in a 4.0L just to have another run of the mill 4.0L jeep with a hacked up install.

The '90 2.5L uses TBI fuel injection, they switched to MPFI in '91 similar to the 4.0L and it makes quite a bit more power. The '91-'95 2.5L isn't a bad engine unless you run oversized tires without regearing the axles.

What he said. I'm running a 2" lift and 31" BFG A/T's (which are actually 30.5, but meh) and I do just fine with the 2.5L. You can also get some bolt-on love going for under $100 and that will help a bunch. For $20 or so you can swap to a 4.0L throttle body out of a junkyard. It's a direct bolt-on on MPFI models, you just have to re-use your 2.5L TB's sensors. Then spend $50 and build yourself a 3" intake with a decent conical filter, that will help airflow, and as an added bonus you can get rid of the stock airbox and free up some room under the hood for something else, like maybe an on-board compressor. Just with those two mods done to my engine I noticed a very good increase in throttle response and a small increase in torque and horsepower. You can go the extra mile and swap in some 19# FoMoCo injectors, they go for around $30 a set used. That's probably going to be my next thing.

You can get 5:38 gears for a dana 30 or 35? and where can you get them? i was looking to get new gears and i can only find up 4:88 my tj is not a daily driver any more just a play toy... anyway just asking thanks.

If I remember correctly, on a D35, 4.88 is the biggest you can go with the stock carrier.

Wow, lots of helpful advice. I think I have a good idea as what to look for now.
if ya want a 4.0 wait for one. my friend just bought one with a 4.0 33"s for 3200$ not a spot of rust...

the 2.5's are good,, time to regear when ya hit 33's. the 30/35 combo works well for mild wheeling...

tips check for rust every were... pull up the carpet the driver's floor is always the worst.. no point in having 2 projects going at once.... your xj will drain your wallet

I already know there a decent amount of rust on the one Im looking at. But apparently the guy's fixed the body.. but thats why Im going ot take a look at it right.:lol: He also siad there is only two small spot in the floor that need to be fixed... we'll see bout that.
And I know exactly what you mean about the XJ. I pretty much have to replace the whole floor in the passanger section, already ground down the rust and gravle guarded the trunk area. One small section fixed, one huge one to go.... Unless I can find another dirt cheap XJ in better shape... otherwise new floors it is. Also the rockers at the rear wheel openings is crunched in and rusted out from sliding into afew rocks. But hey, thats what projects are for right? :lol:
I dont really mind doing much body work on whatever I buy for a summer drive, I plan to have it painted a sublime green anyways. But your right, I dont want to spend more time fixing the drive than the actual project truck. I've already dropped about 1500 into all new brakes and replaceing afew blown lines and two new tires on my XJ. Now I know what Jeep stands for..."Just Empty Every Pocket".:lol:
Thanks guy's, depending how this '90 is.. I may wait and keep a look out for a '91 and up.

4.88 is as deep as you can go in those stock axles, I made the jump to d44's front and rear mainly for the lower gearing options.

I drive with 33's and 4.88 with the MPFI 2.5L. It's very streetable, but you wont win any races... It WILL do just fine offroad, but I would not recommend going any bigger than 33's on the stock axles not only because of the gearing, but also because of the D35 no being the stonger axle. I am considering going to D44's, but when you factor in the axles, lockers, and 35" tires, it becomes too expensive for my taste...

Again, thanks so much for your replies guy's.
I just got back from looking at the YJ. The guy's asking $1300, and it's a fair price for the shape it's in. I figure if I go with this one, I might be able to talk him down to a good few hundred.
The nice thing is, the guy did do the body work, all new steel.. no bondo anywhere. Even fixed the floors right up, not one hole in them. Actually, afew holes need to be drilled for afew mounts. He dropped in a bran new rad, the starter looks pretty new, he's got all new seals all round, barely any rust on the thing.
However, there are some issues with it. The grill is riddled with rust bubbles, looks like only surface though (been painted over). I plan to get the CJ style grill.. not fancy on the square lights. And the nice thing is the swap doesn't involve too much work.
All the mechanical seems to be good. Universals are still in surprisingly good shape.
Onto the other small issues: The frame has a small hole in it on the inner driver side right above the axle, easy to get at and fixed. There is one spot on the rear drive thats rusted and bent, right at the curve... still and easy fix. And lastly, the passenger side, the guy replaced the sheet metal... but kinda rushed it and warped all down the side. But thats a fairly easy fix.. nothing a good beatin cant fix.. right?lol
And the passenger door is missing the lock. Looked at it.. how the hell do you get that out.. and more importantly... how the hell do you get one back in those doors?
So, after reading that, what do yall think? Should I make an offer to the guy? Or should I hold out and try and find one with the MPFI?

I plan to get the CJ style grill.. not fancy on the square lights.

This is just my opinion and I am kind of militant about this... but...

Seriously, if you don't like square headlights, why are you even looking at a YJ in the first place? Don't buy that YJ then change the front grille. Those square headlights are what distinguishes a YJ from every other Jeep on the road. And plus, from what you've said, the damage doesn't sound bad; you'd be ruining the front of a perfectly good Jeep. And this isn't anything personal, I just hate it when people go chopping up distinctive vehicles to turn them into something that looks like everything else on the road. Especially when there aren't that many in good shape left on the road to begin with (YJ's do seem to be getting kinda rare lately...) I think you should be looking for a TJ if you want round headlights. You probably won't find one for only $1300, though. Still, you'd most likely end up with a Jeep that has a lot less miles on it and is in much better condition, and you'll save yourself the hassle of doing the grille swap.

Speaking of the price, $1300 for that YJ is probably about right from your description of it. Actually, so long as it runs good, it's road-worthy, and the frame isn't rotting out from under you, I'd say you were getting a good deal.

Still, it's a '90. I personally wouldn't go for anything older than '91. The MPFI really does make a difference. You also have more bolt-on options with the later YJ 2.5L's.

Last edited:
I get your view on the grill, and Im not against it. Im kinda torn on it actualy. I love the round lights, but you are right. The squar lights are a YJ, and keeps it differant from the other jeeps. Im not 100% decided on that part yet.
Reason why I dont buy a TJ or Cj, they cost more than what I can afford. Especialy the YJ's. All the ones I've managed to come across (very scarce) are rediculosely expensive.
I have been told many times to hold out for one with MPFI... and it probably is my best bet. But like I said, Im not looking for another Jeep with the 4.0 power, already have that.lol
Wich ever Jeep I do end up buying, I plan to keep it mild, mostly street driven. Im not too terribly worried about bolt on options.
To be honest... Im not even sure if it's the squar lights that i dont like. I've seen tons of YJ's with body coloured grill's, and they look great. This Jeep, along wiht others, have the chrome grill. I think it might just be the chrome...
Anyways, thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

To be honest... Im not even sure if it's the squar lights that i dont like. I've seen tons of YJ's with body coloured grill's, and they look great. This Jeep, along wiht others, have the chrome grill. I think it might just be the chrome...
Anyways, thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

You can take the inserts out. I've got them in my grille. The only reason I didn't take mine out is because the headlight bezels and the front bumper are also polished stainless so it matches well.

image-missing.png

Back