Clunk on turning

dave_denn

My 86 CJ7 makes a "clunking" noise sometimes when I turn it, especially when pulling out of a parking space or curb where I have to climb a slight incline. I have checked the undercarriage and can't find anything that appears capable of making the noise. I checked the motor mounts thinking that might be the problem, but can't find any that appear loose or broken. Has anyone had or heard of this problem? I don't want to be 50 miles from nowhere in the boonies and have something finally let go leaving me stranded. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You guys & gals have been such a great help while I attempt to get this "work in progress" in shape. I hope with your collective brains I can figure this out.

Dave

Have you checked axle u-joints and ball joints as well as wheel bearings?

Thanks guys who replied. I will check out all those things when (and if) this rain ever stops here in Northern California.

It is so wet here I may have to fit my CJ with a snorkel... ;)

Dave

Mine was doing the same thing last summer. It was my front Axle U-Joint that was about to go. Replaced them and problem solved. Good Luck!

Collin,

I didn't think of the front u-joints being the problem as it sounds like the noise if coming from the rear or behind the front seats at least. It is hard to determine where it is actually coming from since the noise is random and can't be duplicated on command.

Again, thanks for all your tips. I am gonna' check each and every one of them before I tow this puppy into the boonies this summer.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I will add it to my list to check as soon as I can get my head above water. It reminds me of that old America song line that goes something like, "It never rains in California...man it pours!"

Dave

My thought is the shackle bushings also, the weight shift will do it. Happens all the time with Big trucks.

I am going to check on those shackle bushings. It seems to be the consensus of what may be the problem. I am kinda' surprised because this critter doesn't seem to weigh that much, at least not like a big truck. Are the bushings a weak spot on this model, or do they just wear like most parts 24+ years old?

I know that I have a few worn parts, but then again I'm a lot older than 26...

Dave

ok I know this is going to sound extremely silly but.........my TJ had a weird thumping noise when i would turn sharp either way. I looked at everything trying to find the part responsible for the noise. One day while laying under the Jeep "inspecting" various parts I found a medium sized roundish rock sitting in my skid plate. Let's just say there was no more thumping. If all fixes were that easy......

Dave, when you check them, Grease em. Jack up the jeep from the bumper, you want to take the weight off. Yes the jeep is light, but the bushings are set for the weight of the jeep. Now while you have the front end up, see how much play is the now. lots of play, bad bushing. now grease em. Gets the grease better distributed. Have fun

Thanks Weylyn for the grease tip and how to check out the shackles. I am going to check that out this afternoon.

Dave

Weylyn,

Well, I jacked up the front by the bumper and found no play in the front end at all. I greased everything that had a zerk, but didn't actually dismantle anything to add grease that way. It appears that the sway bars have a rubber boot top and bottom of the connection, but I don't see anyway to add grease to that.

Then, I jacked up the rear and checked the wheels for play, etc. with no success. Ditto the u-joints and shackles. Although the shock's upper boots seem loose, they are tight at the connections and appear to have been replaced sometime relatively recently (I have only owned the CJ since last summer and have only a sketchy idea about what has been repaired, etc.).

I do know that last fall I replaced the clutch and the u-joints in the drive line, but they seem fine and lacking slop, etc.

I ran the Jeep over some bumps and made some sharp turns, and the noise almost seems to be coming from the body as it sounds like it is just behind the front seats and shallow, not farther down. (I tried to get my wife to lay on the floor behind the seats and listen, but she refused and gave me some choice words about what I could do with my old Jeep!). :redface:

My next chore is to check where the body is bolted to the frame to see if maybe something is amiss there.

Thanks for all your help.

Dave

ok if its like my yj look at the body mounts one of mine pulled through just to add more to my thumping on sharp turns i had a loose bolt on the left front spring or wrong size i should say because it would just spin but wouldnt tighten anymore:(

Thanks everyone for your suggestions on my clunking sound. I finally figured out what it is. The bracket on the front end of the passenger front leaf spring is bent enough so it allows the spring to move back and forth slightly within the bracket as to make the noise when I turn a corner or hit a bump that flexes the spring sideways. I couldn't find it until a mechanic friend saw some slight wear on the leaf spring where the bracket comes around. I need to either replace the spring or figure out a way to remove the bracket and re-bend it to keep the springs together.

Dave :roll:

Back