Oil Pressure Woe's.......

Jeeper99

About a month ago, I changed the oil in my Jeep and replaced a quart of oil with ATF to help clean out the oiling system. Last week, my oil pressure (Which used to stay at 40 psi all the time) dropped to zero at idel and my check gauges light came on. Now, while driving down the road, the pressure only gets to 22 lbs and when i stop, it goes to zero. :???: I was thinking it was the oil, so I went with a thicker 10w-40 and replaced it today because my I6 has 165,000 miles and is a little rattley. Needless to say, fresh oil and it's still doing it??

Is there any chance the ATF broke some of the gunk free and partially clogged up the sending unit? If so, where is it located on a 99TJ to replace it? Thanks for any help guys! Take Care!

The way i understand ATF in the oil is that ur not to run it a long time like a daily driver only run it 20 miles or less then change it... you may have took out your main or rod bearings.

Adding a quart of ATF the day before an oil change will clean your engine. ATF added to the motor oil will clean the engine due to the high levels of detergent in ATF.

Fact
ATF does not contain detergent chemistry. ATF does contain dispersants, which have properties similar to detergents. But ATF is not formulated to withstand the combustion environment inside the engine. We recommend that you keep the fluids where they belong: motor oil in the crankcase, and automatic transmission fluid in the transmission.

so i dont mean to hijack your thread but so team twisted your saying add ATF to your oil then drive it home from work (using it as a refrence) then change the ouil right after but it will help clean motor?

It cleans the inside of the motor BUT don't run it a long time...

I myself have never put ATF in my oil.

I use ONLY oil in the motor.

I use rotella and valvoline oil in my trucks and jeeps.

I have used lucas oil treatment.

Last edited:

I think the first thing I'd do is replace the sending unit, thats a cheap, easy way to start your problem solving.
When the pressure goes to zero does the engine get really noisy? if not I would think it is a sending unit problem rather than actual low pressure... just my best guess...

I think the first thing I'd do is replace the sending unit, thats a cheap, easy way to start your problem solving.
When the pressure goes to zero does the engine get really noisy? if not I would think it is a sending unit problem rather than actual low pressure... just my best guess...

Do you ha a 4.0 or 2.5?

It does not necessarily make noise with no oil pressure (been there) but not the same situation it was with a 350 chevy.. anyway yes id start with a oil change and a new oil pressure switch. and go from there.

The motor "seems" to sound, run and act the same as it always has. Only diffrence is the gauge dancing around. Oh and cabin_guy, when the pressure goes to Zero, the motor is the same, no noises or anything out of the ordinary.

Sending unit....had the same problems litterally a week ago. The suggestion was to replace the sending unit. Problem fixed: $20. Maybe the same for you.

Sine Deviance says: Here's a tip: When you buy the new sender, go to Advance Auto. Auto Zone and some of the other stores I tried carry the wrong one but it's listed for this application (so it's the wrong part number.) The plug and the housing are the same but the threads are a bit off and the sender won't work with our Jeeps. Advance has exactly the right one. I had to buy and return three senders from three different stores before I found the right one at Advance.

Here's another tip: When you go to replace the sender, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when tightening it into the seat. DO NOT over-tighten it. AT ALL. The sender seat is just this little brass elbow and it cracks very easily. Also, the sender has a tapered end, which makes it even easier to crack the brass. If you DO crack it open you can replace the elbow with any generic $1.50 brass elbow that has 1/8 and 1/4 NPT threads I think. It just screws out of the block. Alternatively, you can buy the correct elbow from the dealer for about $5. Also, the threads going into the block are different than the threads for the sender seat, so make sure you match the sender with the elbow before trying to screw it into the block.

i have never heard of the atf clean. if done crorectly will it (clean) for real. i am about due for an oil change, and with 114000 on the motar im sure it could use a good cleaning.

DO NOT USE THE ATF. ATF is a great way to crystalize your rings. There is enough treatments you can use on a engine. Lucas makes a great treatment for the engine. Always use a good oil filter, change regularly. While my Jeep only has 60K on it, My family has changed the oil every 3 months whether it was needed or not. STP also has some great oil treatments and to be honest, I used till 5 years ago when I switched to Lucas. Also, remember what kind of oil your engine likes. God and Jeep decided some engines like a 5w30, some like 10w40 and some like 20w50. If yours like 10w40 stay with that. The reason is simple. The rings on your pistons and the bearings on your crank and rods are designed for a specific grade of oil. they don't want a thicker or thinner oil running through them. Remember, its my opinion as I say this, but after rebuilding enough engines, I learned a few things.

I've read on here where ATF is used to help clean out a high milage motor that is making noise due to stuck lifters I thnk.

I agree by starting with replacing the oil pressure switch. Seems logical.

However, why even think about using Automatic Transmission Fluid to flush an engine when there are so many comparably priced, specifically designed products on the market to choose from? Motor or Engine Flush is made by Lucas Oil, Gunk, Valvoline, Amsoil, STP, Wynn's, and on and on and on.

I mean, back in the day, we used to replace a quart of motor oil with a quart of kerosene and run it for 30 minutes to do the same thing. Quit doing this too when we discovered products actually formulated to do the job right.

have father in law a farmer rancher uses atf in oil ten fifteen minutes only to clean out engine in older tractoran such thats all then replacesquickly with rotella and uses lucas too that it

Back