Is it absolutely necessary for me to drain my AX-5 befor I unbolt it from the engine?

Sine Deviance

I'm going to replace my clutch and flywheel this weekend. The problem is, I can't get Redline MT-90 (or ANY GL-3 or otherwise non-sulfur gear oil) locally and I can't afford to wait another week for shipping. So, is it absolutely necessary for me to drain the transmission before I unbolt it and pull it back from the engine? Also, what's the consensus on re-using fluid, even if I'm just doing it temporarily?

Thanks!

If you drain it on a clean container and avoid contaminations, you should be able to re-use the fluid.

no, there is no fluid transfer between the transmission and motor and transmission and t-case. but it will make it lighter if you using the bench press method to get it out.

I replaced my cluch last summer and took the transmission and t-case out it was very easy way better than a chevy or ford.. replaced fluid in both when thay was on the floor. in order to slid it back you have to unbolt it and the shifter anyway.

I say if ur going to do it do it right the first time..

Looks like I'll be all set. Thanks everybody!

If you drain it on a clean container and avoid contaminations, you should be able to re-use the fluid.

Cool. I was thinking that if I go this route I'll get one of those mesh screens to filter any metal shavings in the fluid. Wouldn't be perfect but it'd at least help.

no, there is no fluid transfer between the transmission and motor and transmission and t-case. but it will make it lighter if you using the bench press method to get it out.

Cool. I'll have help and we're probably not going to drop the transmission/t-case anyways. I'm planning on supporting it with a floor jack and just rolling it back a foot or so.

Correct...no draining needed. If your fluid still has life in it, I wouldn't change it at all.

I honestly don't know if the fluid needs to be changed or not. I've only put 5,000 miles on this Jeep since I've had it. Still, I want to change it soon on principle. Just not this weekend :D

I say if ur going to do it do it right the first time..

Well, that isn't always an option. I really wanted to do it all at once but I need to be back on the road by Saturday, and even if I ordered 4 quarts of MT-90 today there's no way it'd be here in time. I would have ordered some earlier but I was sure Tarheel 4WD Center in Charlotte would carry it; I was wrong. I ordered the parts today and they'll be here tomorrow afternoon. The weather is supposed to be nice and in the high 50's Friday so it should be a good day to do it. With any luck we'll be able to get it done in a couple hours.

I can change the fluid out next week after the clutch is done. Right now I just need working transportation. Between the PCM/alternator going out and me taking a month and a half to get that stuff replaced, and then the clutch going out the very next day after I replaced that stuff, this Jeep has been sitting for three months now and it's getting a bit ridiculous.

In fact, now that I mention it, this Jeep has been broken down or in the body shop (I got rear-ended on July 4th '09 just after buying the damn thing and had to drive a rental for two months) for roughly half the time I've owned it. I've never had such bad luck with a car before. I've actually wondered if this Jeep is cursed. Not a very good start. I've been thinking about replacing the clutch and putting it up for sale.

Last edited:

Looks like I'll be all set. Thanks everybody!

Cool. I was thinking that if I go this route I'll get one of those mesh screens to filter any metal shavings in the fluid. Wouldn't be perfect but it'd at least help.

Cool. I'll have help and we're probably not going to drop the transmission/t-case anyways. I'm planning on supporting it with a floor jack and just rolling it back a foot or so.

I honestly don't know if the fluid needs to be changed or not. I've only put 5,000 miles on this Jeep since I've had it. Still, I want to change it soon on principle. Just not this weekend :D

Well, that isn't always an option. I really wanted to do it all at once but I need to be back on the road by Saturday, and even if I ordered 4 quarts of MT-90 today there's no way it'd be here in time. I would have ordered some earlier but I was sure Tarheel 4WD Center in Charlotte would carry it; I was wrong. I ordered the parts today and they'll be here tomorrow afternoon. The weather is supposed to be nice and in the high 50's Friday so it should be a good day to do it. With any luck we'll be able to get it done in a couple hours.

I can change the fluid out next week after the clutch is done. Right now I just need working transportation. Between the PCM/alternator going out and me taking a month and a half to get that stuff replaced, and then the clutch going out the very next day after I replaced that stuff, this Jeep has been sitting for three months now and it's getting a bit ridiculous.

In fact, now that I mention it, this Jeep has been broken down or in the body shop (I got rear-ended on July 4th '09 just after buying the damn thing and had to drive a rental for two months) for roughly half the time I've owned it. I've never had such bad luck with a car before. I've actually wondered if this Jeep is cursed. Not a very good start. I've been thinking about replacing the clutch and putting it up for sale.

It can be done in 6 hours with 2 people. and there not that heavy

Back