Time for a rear axle swap. Dana 44

Jesse

So I think I am going to go with the dana 44. My question for you guys is what should i look for in a d44? & Is there a certain car/truck i should look for it to come out of? Also how hard is it to do the swap? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

You need to get one from a TJ unless you're willing to buy the $300+ bracket kit and have the axle welded/installed. If you're already aware of needing the bracket kit, get a Ford 8.8 from a '95+ Exploder, it has disc brakes and the correct lug pattern.

I've looked into the 8.8 and personally I don't care for it. & How complicated is the swap if I get one from a TJ? Any idea how much the d44 would cost?

I've looked into the 8.8 and personally I don't care for it. & How complicated is the swap if I get one from a TJ? Any idea how much the d44 would cost?

somewhere in the range of 1000$ for the D44 from a Rubi.
it should be a direct bolt up. un glue the old one and glue in the new one. just mak sure the ring and pinion gears r the same as the front, or REALLY BAD things could happen.:shock:

It seems to me that there is some work required to get it onto the jeep, plus there is the size difference, also I've come to understand you have to do a fair amount of work to get it ready for offroading. But at the same time I'm sure there is a lot more to it then what I've said here.

According to what you said, wouldn't it be cheaper, and a lot easier, to just get a TJ d44?

Keep in mind that TJ D44's have weaker axle tubes than the standard D44's, so I would go for Isuzu D44's from a rodeo or Honda Passport in the rear and Waggy front D44. Change bolt pattern to 5X5.5, rear disc brakes, and cheap to install (relatively speaking when compared to a brand new axle) and plenty of aftermarket support (and low gearing option!).

Why change the lug pattern when the Waggy and 'Zu axles already match with quite possibly one of the most common lug patterns in the world?

Why change the lug pattern when the Waggy and 'Zu axles already match with quite possibly one of the most common lug patterns in the world?

No, I meant you GET the new bolt pattern (implying that he needs new wheels, including a spare; already had a buddy change to D44's, and forgot to changle the spare, and of course, he found out in the middle of nowhere that his spare would not fit, and nobody in the group had his tire size - NOT a fun trip!)

Ahh ok, then he would have the 6x5.5" lug pattern, not 5x5.5", which is what threw me off. BTW my Belize trip was GREAT, can't wait to get back.

for the rear, a TJ D44 is much better than the D35, but on the front, the only advantage is lower gearing (tubes are about the same thickness, and the newer D30 use the larger U-joints anyway). But, all the brackets will already be weldedin.

For the others, you need to weld and do a bit of fabricating, but you get a stronger axle (thicker tubes) and rear disc brakes

Back