Jeep Wrangler TJ Brake light problems

ppitts27

I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with a brake light problem. The 3rd brake light works fine but the 2 main ones do not . i have replaced the switch (the one at the pedal) and the lights worked for 3 days and then nothing . I have to assume that something burnt the switch again but have no idea what ? can anyone help me out here ?

Check the connections on the switch. The terminals might just be spread out and looose.

Check the ground wires on the main lights, if the switch was bad the third light should not work either.Over the last 25 yrs of workin on junk I have seen a wide variety of syptoms caused by a poor ground or dirty connections.It doesnt cost anything to check.Sometimes it is amazing that a ground that looked good was the cause.Electrical gremlins can be a nightmare to find.Good Luck hope it is something easy

Thanks guys Ive found my problem . It seems that the hazard switch was the culprit .It actually sends power to the brake light switch and as the hazard switch was starting to go bad mainly due to lack of use (I assume) .the brake light switch wasnt getting the proper voltage.I found this actually by mistake as I needed the hazard lights and they wouldnt work till I started to jiggle that switch when they worked so did my brake lights.A little corrosion X goes along way

Back