just a thought?

abe

i have a 97' tj with a Dana 30 front axle. i just bought a new steering linkage tie rod and drag link from rugged ridge. i noticed that i have flat spots on the top of my steering knuckle. wondered if i could bolt the tie rod ends up top instead of down below? kinda like a cheep way to raise up the linkage and get it out of the way. anyone ever done this? can it b done? just a thought? thanks.

Attachments

• 0403001751.jpg
    0403001751.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 58

I dont think it would work.Looking at the pic where you bolt it on it is more like a cup.If you bolt it with it on top the bolt would be in the cup section and the tie rod.

I may be wrong, but I bet they are tapered, forcing you to use it from the bottom up. If they are not tapered, then I don't see why it would hurt.

the holes are tapered you would have to taper the holes from the top , depending on the bends in the steering components could cause interference with other components,ie track bar, sway bar links, steering stabilizer.if it is the rugged ridge setup i am not sure if the passenger side can be flipped and still be hooked up,i would take a lot of carefull measurements before you get the knuckles re-tapered

After doing a little research i found out it can b done. You would have to drill out the hole to 3/4 of an inch to get rid of the taper and then insert these (Jeep Cherokee Wrangler Tie Rod Flip Kit HIGH STEER KIT [J202] - $18.99 : Motomomentum!, Jeep JK vs Toyota FJ the finest in Offroad Parts) some people weld them in some just use loc-tite. not sure if i am going to do it yet but ill let everyone know if i do. I need to weigh the pros and cons.

Attachments

• highsteerkitbasic.gif
    highsteerkitbasic.gif
    70.3 KB · Views: 133
Back