Lifter ticking

Cyanide

I have a fairly loud lifter tick when I first start my TJ. It is annoying but does not seem to affect the performance of the motor. I have started saving up for a new motor anyhow but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. If so how long did you let it go before addressing the issue? It is the 4.0 and it is less than 100 miles away from hitting 190k. I guess my question is also if any of you think I should try and save faster than I am. The sound almost totally goes away once I start driving and it is very quiet at idle once the motor is warmed up.

my 4.0 has had a loud tick on start up for 2 yrs now still the same no worse have tried various types of oil,conventional, synthetic,lucas additives some made a difference for a short period like 2 wks or so.have read that shell rotella t 15/40 has more lubricating agents for flat tappet cams i am going to try this next oil change

you can try this, A friend once had a Toyota with what he thought was a lifter noise. After adjusting his valves numerous times with no success, I found that it was actually a loose spark plug wire(noticibly louder at idle)
secondly- exhaust manifolds can come loose and create a tick when cold and seem to go away once the metal heats up(try tightening the exhaust manifold bolts.
Third is change your oil,add an engine oil additive(old time trick is to substitute 1qt ATF for 1 qt of oil)Run vehicle for at least 500 mi. it will assist in breaking up varnish and accumulative sludge. Drain oil and see what comes out.
ITS AN ENGINE COLON CLEANSE !!
I have done this numerous times on various models of cars and it works better than 80% of the time.
The last and most expensive is of course the motor.
Hope this helps.

OK cool thanks guys. I will start going down the list of all that this weekend.

Back