Whiskey Tango foxtrot

okiebugg

Help! I'm having problems with lifter noise on startup.

04 Wrangler TJ 4.0 inline six, 5 speed transmission 77,500 miles

When I start this vehicle engine, I hear several seconds of lifter noise. Oil..Full...recently changed...changed every 3000 mi...ever since it was born...babied...driven daily..

I'm a relative noobi to 4 wheeling and have no idea what this is. Pleasegive me an answer!:???:

I'd say install a manual oil pressure gauge in place of the oil pressure sending unit. Perform the test multiple times with the engine cold. This will reveal if the oil pump is working properly or the lifters are loosing it's prime after sitting overnight.

If it just started after the last oil change it could be that the filter has a faulty anti-drainback valve. Change just the filter, with a different brand if it is a Fram, and see if the noise goes away.

in my 88 4.0 I run 20-50 almost 400,000 no lifter noise the only jeep I own that
never breaks down and I own my own small fleet 5 in all . 2 76/81 dj5s, 1 54 cj3b , 1 88 xj , 1 06 kj

Oil break down I run
in the 88 4.0 xj 20-50 I owned this one 10 years never broken down
in the 76 258 dj5 20-50 owned this one 2.5 years breaks down every week
in the 81 151 iron duke dj5 10-30 owned this one 5 years broke down only 3 times
in the 54 4.3 cj3b 10-40 owned this one 6 years on road less 6 months broke down 1 time
in the 06 3.7 kj 5-30 owned this one 5.5 years broke down 2 times one time needed to replace eng
I only use quakerstate oil

no 2 jeeps are the same they all have there own temperment as you can see from the above list
Every jeep get oil change at 3000/3mo intervals
plugs wires cap ect once a year weather it needs it or not
and what ever other maint it needs
yes I stay very busy
and like the saying goes

jeeps

just
eat
every
penny
sucker

and its so very true
Like my wife says if jeep aint in your blood you shouldnt own one

just noticed my post count 666:shock:
the devil made me do it !!!:D
bounce3-1.gif

Attachments

• devil.gif
    devil.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

Pretty typical, try replacing a qt of oil with a qt of ATF, should quiet that lifter right up.

in my 88 4.0 I run 20-50 almost 400,000 no lifter noise the only jeep I own that
never breaks down and I own my own small fleet 5 in all . 2 76/81 dj5s, 1 54 cj3b , 1 88 xj , 1 06 kj

Oil break down I run
in the 88 4.0 xj 20-50 I owned this one 10 years never broken down
in the 76 258 dj5 20-50 owned this one 2.5 years breaks down every week
in the 81 151 iron duke dj5 10-30 owned this one 5 years broke down only 3 times
in the 54 4.3 cj3b 10-40 owned this one 6 years on road less 6 months broke down 1 time
in the 06 3.7 kj 5-30 owned this one 5.5 years broke down 2 times one time needed to replace eng
I only use quakerstate oil

no 2 jeeps are the same they all have there own temperment as you can see from the above list
plugs wires cap ect once a year weather it needs it or not
and what ever other maint it needs
yes I stay very busy
and like the saying goes

jeeps

just
eat
every
penny
sucker

and its so very true
Like my wife says if jeep aint in your blood you shouldnt own one

just noticed my post count 666:shock:
the devil made me do it !!!:D
bounce3-1.gif

Thats funny i herd it

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket :D

True dat. The only way to know for sure is to get a Used Oil Analysis.
Blackstone Labs About $25.

I based my recommendation on the fact that a few years ago I used an off-brand oil filter on my wife's old Grand Am since they were out of AC's and it made lifter noise on start-up. I changed the filter with an AC and the noise went away. I use AC filters on the family GM's, Motorcraft on the family Fords, and NAPA Gold on my Focus that you can never find the correct Motorcraft filter for. I have a lot of cars to take care of.

Off-topic, but the current collection is:
2008 Sport Trac (mine), Mobil 1 0w-30 Fuel Economy Formula.
2004 Focus wagon (company car, I own the company), Motorcraft 5w-20.
2003 Taurus wagon (wife's), recently switched to Motorcraft 5w-30 from 5w-20 since it hit 120k and started using a little oil. Then too, it might be leaking it.
1997 Jeep TJ (daughter's), 2.5L, currently using Pennzoil since I'm running Auto-RX engine cleaner in it. When I'm done with that I'll use Max Life and maybe try Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage and get UOA's.
2000 Mustang V6 (son's), Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.
1999 Cadillac (mom's), burns oil like a two-stroke, early Northstars do, Max Life 10w-30 kinda minimizes it. My folks go to FL for the winter and it stays here, mom does not put a lot of miles on anyway, so I just change it once a year after they leave and it sits in the garage for the winter.
2004 Cadillac (dad's), Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.

For Jeeps, especially the 6 cylinders, UOA's posted at www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com show that engine tends to throw off a lot of iron. One way to minimize that is to use a diesel-rated oil like Shell Rotella. Wally-Mart used to carry it in 10w-30 but I don't see it any more, just the 15w-40, which is fine to use in warm weather. Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 is a killer deal for the money, which I may try in the Jeep.

Back