camshaft bearing removal

sweetpeet

Does anyone know how to remove the camshaft bearings? I know that they have a tool set that you can buy but I don't think the it is necessary for me to spend $120 for a one time use. any ideas or advice?

The outside one's can be carefully removed with a brass punch and a hammer. The ones closer to the center , good luck with that. I looked at my block for a good 20 mins. contemplating on this task. I finally decided to take it to the machine shop with my choice of bearings to replace it with and had them hone the cylinders. I had them polish the crank as well.

i know around where i live we have Autozone its a parts place. They rent tools for free just pay a deposit and when u return the tool u get all your money back.

The outside one's can be carefully removed with a brass punch and a hammer. The ones closer to the center , good luck with that. I looked at my block for a good 20 mins. contemplating on this task. I finally decided to take it to the machine shop with my choice of bearings to replace it with and had them hone the cylinders. I had them polish the crank as well.

how much did all that cost? if you dont mind me asking.

how much did all that cost? if you dont mind me asking.

$75.00 to remove and replace the camshaft bearings and $20.00 to hone the cylinders. The honing cost varies on the condition of the cylinder walls. The camshaft bearings, camshaft , valve springs, keepers and rocker arms, intake manifold and the 4 barrel carburator was ordered thru Edelbrock and i refuse to remember how much i spent on that.:twisted::D

Take it in to a machine shop it should be under $100 to take out the old ones and put in new ones... i spent $240 on a 350 chevy for getting it cleaned and .30 bore job new freeze pluges and cam bearings.

Back