Gas spills out of my Wrangler when fueling

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else notice this? When I set the pump on auto and allow it to stop itself a cup or two of gas always slushes out onto the ground. I've never had this happen with another modern truck.

I did a bit of youtube surfing, and it looks like this happens to other people

This is a video of my Jeep spurting gas:

And more - Fast forward to the last 20 seconds

Last edited:

wow thats really weird. something similar has happened to me in my nissan frontier but nothing that bad. I think it might have something to do with the relief of the pressure within the gas tank. I know theres a tube or valve that is suppose to do the reliegf thing. I think its on the tank tube where you pour the gas in. So i'd check that, and makesure its not blocked. once again, since I dont have a modern jeep( just my cj) im kinda guessing. but I definatly think its a pressure issue within the tank.

There are 2 tubes on the filler neck. One is a large hose and the other is a small fuel vapor line. This vapor line is what keeps the fuel from backflushing out the filler neck. On the modern fuel tanks, there's a ball on the fuel tank neck that's called a roll over valve, this tends to stick once in a while and not let the fuel enter the filler neck at it's full capacity. Check these components for proper operation would be my advise.

I had that issue with my old CJ & just figured that it was the same with the TJ'S & there was nothing to be done about it... If you find a fix let me know :)

i have the exact problem on my yj i just assumed it was linked to the fact that my sending unit has been out for about a year and couldn't remember if it spilled out when it was working. I just keep filling till i get a big splash, in my experience the little spurts that come out means you can still fit at least a gallon.

:???:After watching the first clip I have to ask, is the yellow colored nozzle not the diesel ? I know it is in my part of the world? Does Jeep have a Wrangler with a diesel?

Attachments

• PICT0038.JPG
    PICT0038.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 466
Both of my YJs did it too. I just kept an eye on the pump and when it was getting close to the 'fill' amount, I listen closely and shut it off just before it spurts out all over the place.

They also trigger the 'auto-shutoff' all the time (like every 3oz of fuel). You had to get the nozzle in there just right. I just figured it was a 'feature' of the YJ...

:???:After watching the first clip I have to ask, is the yellow colored nozzle not the diesel ? I know it is in my part of the world? Does Jeep have a Wrangler with a diesel?

Yes, Jeep has had Diesels on the Wranglers, GC's and even the Chrysler brand 300C. As a matter of fact, the Dodge Challenger and Charger also is available in a diesel but these are all found in the european and middle eastern country's.

Don't these people know how to edit video? Did I really need to watch 1:30 of the nozzle in the tank with nothing happening. All we needed to see was the last 5 seconds.

That being said, I've never had this happen to mine and I always let it "click" off by itself.

My TJ does it too. When I hear the fuel getting close to the filler neck, I just go easy on the nozzle.

:???:After watching the first clip I have to ask, is the yellow colored nozzle not the diesel ? I know it is in my part of the world?

This is a very common assumption, unfortunately it is not true and has led a lot of new diesel owners a stray. There are no federally mandated color code standard for diesel fuel fill nozzles in the U.S. The color used will vary from one company to another. I only own diesels and have seen yellow, green, white, blue, black, gold, and red fill nozzle colors for diesel depending on where I am and what company owns the pumps. Many people who do not pay close attention to the pump labels when fueling have mistakenly filled their diesel tanks with gas due to them grabbing the color they are used to at their home station. I have had to go out and purge the gas on a lot of new diesel owners vehicles.

Last edited:
Ggg-

Thanks for that insight, with all the standardization in our everyday lives I can't believe the fuels are not color coded. I could see a lot of mistaken fuel usage due to that.

Additionally, are the Wrangler fuel tanks plastic? Could this be part of the reason for the "over flow" issues? Even with all vents working normal, if the rate of the fuel being pumped into the tank is greater then the vent system will allow pressure to bleep off, a plastic tank will swell under the pressure. Thus causing the purging back through the filler neck. Just a thought!

...That being said, I've never had this happen to mine and I always let it "click" off by itself.

:evil: I've had my Jeep since 2003 and for at least 340 fill ups I've never had this happen as evidenced by my above post. Terry has to bring it up here and on my very next fill up (today) it overflows! I blame Jeepz. :x

My 05 TJ has been doing this too, for a couple of years. I blamed the reformulated gas. Maybe it's more foamy now than it used to be.

Yes, the diesel / gas problem... I have had small arguments at the pump when filling my wife's VW Jetta Diesel (which at 48 MPG you don't do too often :p ) . The pump attendant has actually tried to refuse filling the car. "SIR, you should NOT put diesel in your car. It will damage the engine!" . Then you try to explain that it's a diesel car and they are amazed.

Unfortunately the USA fell way behind in diesel technology. We have driven our gassers which got bad milage and do NOT last while most of the world ran diesels. Now the EPA regs are so strict that only a few makers are trying to sell diesel cars here. - John

My 05 TJ has been doing this too, for a couple of years. I blamed the reformulated gas. Maybe it's more foamy now than it used to be.

Yes, the diesel / gas problem... I have had small arguments at the pump when filling my wife's VW Jetta Diesel (which at 48 MPG you don't do too often :p ) . The pump attendant has actually tried to refuse filling the car. "SIR, you should NOT put diesel in your car. It will damage the engine!" . Then you try to explain that it's a diesel car and they are amazed.

Unfortunately the USA fell way behind in diesel technology. We have driven our gassers which got bad milage and do NOT last while most of the world ran diesels. Now the EPA regs are so strict that only a few makers are trying to sell diesel cars here. - John

I somewhat agree however, i don't think we fell behind the Diesel technology, WE as the United States of America simply kept raising the standards and regulated so much when it came to air quality. No blame there and no pointing fingers, however this had limited the EPA approved diesel engines here that had the cmpatibility to the manufacturers application. For years, Chrysler has been using Diesel in almost all their product lines in Europe and other parts of the world due to the less required emmisions and standards. We have yet seen quite a small number of diesel equipped Jeep brands here and they are working on more to be marketed here that will pass the inspection.

JK owner, have always had this issue. I had always thought it had to do with distance of filler tube.

Back