'05 4.0L ticking

prariepunk

Please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong topic, I just didn't think that additional performance fit this subject:hide:.
I have a 2005 TJ X with the 4.0 (with 106k), for some time it ran great but now I've developed a ticking in the top end:scratch:. I'm running 2qts Lucas Oil & 4 Castrol High Milage (5w-30 I think). It's really noticeable on start up (especially when it's cold out) but is always present. The car guy I've started going to says he's heard alot of high milage 4.0's with this ticking & says not to worry but... guess what... I'm worryingmooooh-(. Anybody have a similar expirance?

Zach, get used to it. My 04 Rubi has had this "tick" since it had 30,000 miles on it. It does it on cold start up - about 10 minutes of warming up it stops. I am positive its a lifter. I have been told its harmless to the motor and these 4.0's have run for up to 200,000 - 300,000 miles with no issues and ticking the whole time. I did take mine to the dealership when I lived up north in WI and of course I could never "duplicate" the noise. The technicians would always return my jeep and say that it was just drive train noise. Well when I got it back yes they were right it WAS drive train noise but that was NOT the noise it was not the ticking noise I took it into them for. I did leave it overnight but it did not do it. And still to this day it only does it intermittently. Some mornings it does not do it at all and other mornings it can be quite loud and sometimes still there but almost muted. At this point I'm not gonna worry about it. I'm going to continue to do regular oil changes and maintenance as needed and drive it as long as it lasts. If you think about it, there's a reason they quit making the 4.0 even though all in all its a pretty good motor. if you are still under warranty you can take it to your dealer and hopefully it will duplicate what you are hearing. I have heard of people getting a new set of lifters put in and then 20,000 miles later the ticking starts again. I've also heard rumors that its very difficult to get a good set of lifters anyway which is why I haven't bothered to pursue it. Good luck to you. I've seen many many posts on this issue. You are not alone.

Not under warranty (5k over :/ ) & if it's common I'm not worried as much... next oil change will be with 10w-30 though... the ticking just gets on my nerves, my Jeep is the only thing I have control over & it's my baby... my dream vehicle

Back