Popping noise in the steering

RubiconHI

I have an 03 Rubicon with a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, and 1" body lift running 315/75 r16s. It has been lifted for 5 years, and I finally have started hearing a noise out of the steering. At first I thought it was my tie rod ends needing grease, but after greasing every possible point of the tie rods the sound persisted. The sound is most prevelant at slow speed, or stop when turning the steering wheel over a quarter turn, not going to try at 50 MPH. The noise seems to be coming from the lower u-joint connecting the steering arm to the steering box, or the steering box. All of the fluids are within tolerance so I am kinda at a loss. I sprayed the u-joint with liquid wrench, (because there was no grease fitting) and the noise was still there. Please help. I have never swapped the steering fluid, but I only have about 65K on the jeep.

Grab the intermediate shaft just above the u-joint and wiggle it gently to see if it has an excessive movement beyond the normal tolerance of the joint. Do the same where the shaft colapses . Most of the times, the lack of lubricant on the 2 pieces of shaft that colapses within each other causes a popping noise.

Check your knuckles....make sure the nuts are tight. That's how I first noticed when mine was messed up.

Check your unit bearings. You might also have a bent tie rod causeing the drag link tre to hit the bracket ( on the axle ) that holds the swaybar link.
The best thing to do is have someone in the jeep turning the wheel and you looking at everything while they turn the wheel.

Off typic: I have a 06 rubi with 285/75/16 are you running stock axles? Thinking about 315"s

Back