Jeep doors help?????

JMullineaux

OK everyone i just got some jeep cj 7 doors that i plan to put on my yj but the door handles are the old type i was wondering if anyone has changed the andle style to the padle style

What do you mean? what type of handles does it have now?. The original handles ARE a Paddle style handles that comes on the CJ doors. The only difference is the opening is towards the front instead of towards the rear like that ones found on the TJ doors.

Well the doors i have have little handles on them and then a slinding latch type thing just like the back latch on the hardtops i am putting pics up right now

Attachments

• rotary_door_outside.jpg
    rotary_door_outside.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 2,870
The factory handles were changed from flippers to paddles around 1980. I think changing to a paddle handle would be difficult because a larger hole woub have to be cut in the door,but I would think changing the "catch point" shouldn't be too hard. If I remember correctly(which is rare) the flipper handle catches a flat spot on the body similar to the soft door handles(CJ). I would think if you removed the Wrangler door catch & added a strike plate to the inside of the door frame it would work. Please remember I don't have an old CJ7 in front of me so I could be full of cr**.

Ya i have been doing some research and you are correct i would like to change to the paddle and theath thing if i could because the latch handlle doesnt support the doors and puts stress on the doors.

Wow, that's an oldie design. Yup i agree, there's gonna be a lot of mods to be done for the paddle style. I beleive the latch will also need to be replaced with the linkage that goes to the paddle handle.

Yours don't need any hardware right? It sounds like you want to go to set of doors with striker pins like the ones below. Keep in mind that those aren't great either - I believe that I snagged alot of shirts on them over the years.

I'd either keep what you have, or buy new doors. You'll need to cut those to make some paddles fit, and it's probably easier to swap yours for new ones.

Attachments

• !Bso+Q8wCWk~$(KGrHqEH-C0EvDJMtMuVBL4utPCNGw~~_12.JPG
    !Bso+Q8wCWk~$(KGrHqEH-C0EvDJMtMuVBL4utPCNGw~~_12.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,367
ya the kind in the pic is what i have on my half doors the reason i want to change is because on the style i have now it puts stress on the upper fram and causes cracks i already have to weld the cracks that are there up and about the new doors i dont have the cash

you need to remove the striker on the tub side and replace it with the older CJ style. Crown sells the parts to do it.

Ya i have all of the parts to use the old style. The thing is i want to change to the post striker style because it gives the door a little more saport and the style i have now is so stressed it causess cracks at the ventwindow. Now i am going to weld the cracks back up but i want to try and prevent this from ever happening again.

My 78 got those stress cracks too... Yes, the striker area is just a little flat plate on the door jamb. I never thought about it that way... The rear of the door has no support at all - I wonder if the later style lock pin actually dose give it some support?

If you keep the old style handles (which shear off in the woods all the time) a good source for cheap replacements is a metal storage cabinet handle. Those two door tall office storage cabinets use the same type handle (with the square shaft). You need to reuse your old shaft (cabinet ones are usually too short). You can even get them with keys. -John

Yes that is exactly why they are cracked i am going to work on making something to help saport the doors and thees handals you are talking about were can i get them what are they and how much do they cost. Thanks

What Terry found on Ebay seems to be a good deal for today's prices... The ones I used were for one of those tall metal two door office cabinets. I think they came from the local locksmith shop and were like 12 or 15 dollars each (but that was like more than 20 years ago) . Bring in an old handle so they can match it up. Remember that you need to reuse your original square shaft. Press out the little pin holding the new shaft, install your original shaft, and press the pin back in. You could always tell when the handles were worn - they would start to sag (not stay horizontal) and get wiggly. Then, one day, you'd end up breaking the handle off in your hand. Or, in the woods, they get snagged on brush and shear off :roll: . What fails is the area around the square shaft where the little pin is pressed into the potmetal. The rest of the latch assy is actually pretty good quality. Best of luck - John

Thanks everyone once i get my doors done i will post pictures of the mods to help suport the doors and yes i am going to get the ones on ebay.

Back