Trac-Lok

Jeeper99

Hey Guys, havn't been on the site in quite a while. :cry: There's been alot going on around here lately and it's fun enough trying to find room to breathe....

Anyways, I had a quick question for some of your Jeep Guru's. I was reading up on the LS differentials that came in the TJ's. The article was saying that the Dana 35 had a factory clutch type LSD that after 70,000 miles would need new clutch packs because they would slip or would not work all together. My 99 Sport has the Dana 35 and 160,000 miles on the clock. Is there anyway to know if my diff came with the trac-loc because I know for a fact, it doesn't do jack right now, but spin on the tire with least resistance. :roll:

Thanks for any help guys! Looking forward to being a regular again and catching up!

Hey Guys, havn't been on the site in quite a while. :cry: There's been alot going on around here lately and it's fun enough trying to find room to breathe....

Anyways, I had a quick question for some of your Jeep Guru's. I was reading up on the LS differentials that came in the TJ's. The article was saying that the Dana 35 had a factory clutch type LSD that after 70,000 miles would need new clutch packs because they would slip or would not work all together. My 99 Sport has the Dana 35 and 160,000 miles on the clock. Is there anyway to know if my diff came with the trac-loc because I know for a fact, it doesn't do jack right now, but spin on the tire with least resistance. :roll:

Thanks for any help guys! Looking forward to being a regular again and catching up!

You can call a dealership and give them your VIN and they can tell you.

Thanks for any help guys! Looking forward to being a regular again and catching up![/QUOTE

PM me your VIN.

TRAC-LOK OPERATION

In a conventional differential, if one wheel spins, the opposite wheel will generate only as much torque as the spinning wheel.
In the Trac-lok differential, part of the ring gear torque is transmitted through clutch packs which contain multiple discs. The clutches will have radial grooves on the plates, and concentric grooves on the discs or bonded fiber material that is smooth in appearance.
In operation, the Trac-lok clutches are engaged by two concurrent forces. The first being the preload force exerted through Belleville spring washers within the clutch packs. The second is the separating forces generated by the side gears as torque is applied through the ring gear .The Trac-lok design provides the differential action needed for turning corners and for driving straight ahead during periods of unequal traction. When one wheel looses traction, the clutch packs transfer additional torque to the wheel having the most traction. Trac-lok differentials resist wheel spin on bumpy roads and provide more pulling power when one wheel looses traction. Pulling power is provided continuously until both wheels loose traction. If both wheels slip due to unequal traction, Trac-lok operation is normal. In extreme cases of differences of traction, the wheel with the least traction may spin.

TRAC - LOK TEST

[SIZE=+1]WARNING: WHEN SERVICING VEHICLES WITH A TRAC - LOK DIFFERENTIAL DO NOT USE THE ENGINE TO TURN THE AXLE AND WHEELS. BOTH REAR WHEELS MUST BE RAISED AND THE VEHICLE SUPPORTED. A TRAC - LOK AXLE CAN EXERT ENOUGH FORCE IF ONE WHEEL IS IN CONTACT WITH A SURFACE TO CAUSE THE VEHICLE TO MOVE. [/SIZE]
The differential can be tested without removing the differential case by measuring rotating torque. Make sure brakes are not dragging during this measurement.
  1. Place blocks in front and rear of both front wheels.
  2. Raise one rear wheel until it is completely off the ground.
  3. Engine off, transmission in neutral, and parking brake off.
  4. Remove wheel and bolt Special Tool 6790 to studs.
  5. Use torque wrench on special tool to rotate wheel and read rotating torque.
  6. If rotating torque is less than 22 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) or more than 271 N·m (200 ft. lbs.) on either wheel the unit should be serviced.

A trac loc is a weak limited slip
A power-loc is better
and I think the True trac is beter still.

Nothing bets a true locker!

A trac loc is a weak limited slip
A power-loc is better
and I think the True trac is beter still.

Nothing bets a true locker!

Thanks Rich,

I guess I have to work with what I have for now. Financially No way I'm able to upgrade axles. I guess a weak LS is better than none. :lol: :D

Back