leaf springs not in line with hangers

jackrgdy

I just replaced all the bushings in my 84CJ front with poly, and new shackles, problem is, the spring eye is 1/2" off-set from the hanger.
the back seems worse, but I haven't put the new bushings in yet.
thing is, the previous owner put in helper leafs. did he mis-align something? how do I fix this? or do I have a spring problem?

the frame end hangers might be tweeked a little bit, mine are tweeked a lot a bit, I'd just replace all teh bushings, with a buddy trying to pull the sping to line up with the shackle, use a med. duty hammer (mini sledge) and hit the frame end hanger to straighten it out. don't beat it into submission, just modivate it back into allignment

Tom-

Without pictures I am not sure if I understand exactly what your issue is but I'll take a stab in the dark.

Questions:

Did you reinstall the pivot bolt through the spring eye and the rear spring hanger?

Have you reinstalled the axel to the new spring?

If the spring is seated in the rear hanger you should be able to move the front shackle to line the holes up with the eye of the spring to install the bolt through the shackle and spring. If you still are short (by a little not a lot) you may need to put a jack under the spring and make it compress. Be real careful you don't upset the apple cart here and drop your jeep off the jacks though. Once that is done on both sides I reinstall the axle loosely to one side and then the other. If things aren’t square with your frame (most aren't) you may need to use a come-a-long to pull the axel in place.

Hope that helps.

when your standin behind the jeep lookin at the shackle. the spring eye is off to one side causeing the shackles to sit slanted to the left away from center

I understand now. I would suspect the frame/hanger is tweeked. I think a come-a-long would work here too; just tug it to the side. It wouldn't hurt to loosen the back hanger bolt too until you have them all lined up.

Back