Electric Fans

Jeeper99

I was trying to find some previous threads about electic fan replacments with no luck,

Does swapping your mechanical fan over to electric really help on gas milage and freeing up a bit of power?

What year Ford Taurus fan fits a 99 Wrangler and where would one find a fan switch box to automatically turn the fan off and on?

I'm more less thinking out loud because I would like to get as best of fuel milage as possible! Thanks!

Try this link Jon.
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/22011-elec-fan-upgrade-junk-yard-option.html . As for the thermostat switch for the cooling fan, i got mine from Carquest auto parts. Its a variable temp. module that you can set at different temperatures and turns the fan on automatically at the desired temp. you set it on. There's a temp. probe that you insert through the radiator fins, prefferably closest to the upper rad. hose inlet so that the probe will have a faster response to take the temp. coming out of the engine block and turn the fan on to cool it down. For the fuel economy and horsepower, i'd say i noticed a little more umph with the throttle response and a little on fuel economy however, this varies on the engine application and powertrain setup.

I have been thinking about it too I live in Florida so I need cooling and hp. for the highway. I'm running a 2,5 I have been told that the durango fan works for the coresponding year of jeep.

When changing to the electrical fan do you also need a new serpentine belt?

On 'Betty' a 17" pusher fan mounted on the radiator front I changed to a conventional puller fan by reversing the polarity of the wiring.
4663511362_1696d0cf03_m-1.jpg

Later I added an Omix-Ada fan shroud, but not before I had to cut relief for the lower radiator hose and drain petcock
4663511418_e80f637717_m-1.jpg
4662887513_e1af668387_m-1.jpg
4662944113_5228901c35_m-1.jpg
Then I wired the temp sensor here, in the water jacket of the intake manifold. I had tried using the probe between the radiator fins but it kept wiggling loose and there wasn't adequate clearance to add a support arm to hold it fast, plus the firm install to the manifold looked more clean.

Last edited:

(Turbogus) zip-ties myfriend zip-ties :D

zip-ties myfriend zip-ties?

Not to dis, but what with my primary experience using trans cooler mount zip ties through the radiator fins mounting the fan (that ultimately damaged the tubes causing leaks after several months) I decided that more than just an asthetic choice, hard mounting of the fan and sensor was more stable.

Back