tuff tire decision

raven

can anyone tell me which is a better an cleaner tire far as rocks and mud goes, the super swamper thornbird or the dick cepek crusher? oh if i will need a wheel spacer for a 16x10 wheel with a 33x12.5 r16 tire?

Thornturds turn into drag slicks in the mud and are useless on rocks.

wouldn't buy either of those tires for a wheeling rig.

if it were me
Mud TSL or Bogger
Rock TSL, Irok, krawler, or Pitbull rockers.

like Marc said thorn birds suck in the mud and dick cepeks wear to unevenly very soft compound and johnny put you on the right track with Mud TSL or Bogger
Rock TSL, Irok, krawler, or Pitbull rockers.alot of rigs out here use the pitbulls and they handle the abuse

my jeep is still for evryday use righ now.... was wondering bout a good mud tire but also good driving tire an would i need a wheel spacer on a 16x10 wheel with a 33x12.5x16 tire?

I've got Firestone Destination M/T's (30X9.50/15 on 15X7 factory rims) and I love them! Great road manners, clean well and grip great. Also, not bad priced (33X12.5X15 usually run around $183 ish)

As for spacers, if you have aftermarket rims, you should be OK without spacers.

if you need a tire that will work well on road, get BFG MT, not as good in the mud, or rocks as the tires I listed, but worlds better than the ones you listed. plus they will last for a long time on teh street.

Also know that Denman Tire went bankrupt and they were the actual manufacturer for Interco Tire, from whence Boggers, Super Swampers, Thornbirds, etc. came from.
They also made Pit Bull tires. Unless it's changed, all of those will be hard to come by for a while until Interco and Pit Bull find someone else to make their tires.

Denman Tire faces closure without help - TribToday.com - News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Tribune Chronicle - Warren, OH

http://www.vindy.com/news/2010/mar/18/denman-to-sell-its-trumbull-tire-plantsf/

Denman only made certain sizes and they had a bunch in warehouses so they aren't exactly hard to find. The new KM2s seem to do well but of the ones on my friends XJ are wearing pretty fast.

go with bfg if its a daily driver my crushers are great but a little loud for a daily driver.still i really like the offroad performance of the crusher, they look cool too! the bfg km2 was a great tire on my work truck, FOR GET THE THORNTURDS!

Stay away from the StuckBirds, they are slicks on everything.

As for the wheel spacers, it all depends on what backspacing you get in the wheels. With the proper backspacing, wheel spacers will not be necessary.

if you need a tire that will work well on road, get BFG MT, not as good in the mud, or rocks as the tires I listed, but worlds better than the ones you listed. plus they will last for a long time on teh street.

I agree; while the BFG MT KM2's are not as great as the Super Swampers or Boggers when it comes to mud (the Interco tires tend to suck on the road!), they do hold their own fairly well. And on the road, they wear well, are not that noisy (for an MT), and handle wet pavement fairly well (again, considering they are an MT tire; a street tire will, of course, handle wet pavement better, but these are actually not bad at all on wet pavement).

I drive mine from Panama to Costa Rica and back twice a year (about 600 miles each way) and they are doing fine so far. Also, I have put them through their paces, and they keep up fairly well (I have only gotten stuck once, and it was more my mistake than the tires performance).

This is the type of mud we get into, by the way:

DSC03285-1.jpg

Felipe

on my jeep i run a 35 1250 15 MT baja claws there like a street tractor tire havent found a mud hole or rock they havent impressed me on good pulling nice road sound and awesome on the trail thornbirds cant pull them selves out of a wet paperbag !

on my jeep i run a 35 1250 15 MT baja claws there like a street tractor tire havent found a mud hole or rock they havent impressed me on good pulling nice road sound and awesome on the trail thornbirds cant pull them selves out of a wet paperbag !

I have heard great things about the baja claws when going forward, but I have heard that, because they are directional, they have big time issues if you do get stuck (that you cant back out very well). How's your experience with this? I woult like to hear some opinions from an actual user, as most of what I have heard is hear-say...

Thornbirds are a waste of $$. I'd recommend the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's for rock, or the Irok. Bogger's are tops for mud, and rock sort of.

i have not hit any kind of situation where i couldnt back up or get free and ive dropped her into some very sticky spots where super swampers got stuck not saying nothing bad on them i just went with the claws ive had many of super swampers on many jeeps i just went with the claws after a few friends of mine tried them out for a while and was in need of new shoes but stay clear of the birds itll be the last time u waste that kinda money !!

Back