No CLuster LIghts ! ? ! ? ! HELP !

slavic98tj

I was driving home on the freeway when i heard a faint pop in my guage cluster. All the Lights in my Cluster went out. I cant see how fast im going or what my RPM is at (but 3 years driving my jeep, i really dont need it).... I dont know what went wrong. The only things that work are my turn signals, Seat Belt, high beam and brake symbols (Oh and miles on my car, i can see that).

I thought the bulbs might have burnt out... but all at the same time????

I checked the fuse behind the glove compartment for the Cluster, but its fine, not burnt out.

I took out and looked at my cluster and no obvious sign of the problem.

Please, i need help, i know i am capable of fixing this problem if i find the source of the problem. THank you.

By the way, i drive a 1998 4.0L TJ Wrangler sport.

It sounds like your "pop" was either a connector gone bad or a wire shorting out or broken, a short should lead to a blown fuse but you check that. I would trace the wire from the fuse to your cluster, chances are its a bad/loose connection.
Either way GET IT CHECKED! 12v fires start this way.

Did you pull the fuse and inspect it closely? Sometimes these blade type fuses can look like they're still good after they've blown.

I would check the fuse first. After verifying the fuse is good, re-check the illumination on the cluster if it's working. If not, check the wiring on the rear of the cluster and check it for chaffing against the instrument panel brackets.

Did you pull the fuse and inspect it closely? Sometimes these blade type fuses can look like they're still good after they've blown.

I would check the fuse first. After verifying the fuse is good, re-check the illumination on the cluster if it's working. If not, check the wiring on the rear of the cluster and check it for chaffing against the instrument panel brackets.

Liutas, i never thought about it that way.... I just quickly looked at it and it didn't look burnt out, but i will test it out or install a new one.

Good thinking StealHeadz, all i know is something gave out, I really really hope its just a fuse.

All in all, when i get it working... im getting blue LED lights to change that ugly faded yellowish color my cluster lighing illuminated. Its going to match my Pioneer head unit blue lighting =D

Left/Right signal Symbols work, High beam Symbol Works, Seatbelt Symbol Works, Brake Symbol works.

Those run off seperate fuses, now that i think about it. If it was my cluster's connection.... why does everything else work?

It has to be the fuse.

UHgggg... i put in a new fuse and nothing. I'm afraid i'll have to take it to the dealership =|

Smart decision, better to pay for the repair at a dealer (warranty) they will fix it, and you will have lights with no worries.

The next thing to check is the multifunction switch, Particularly the dimmer circuit. If this circuit goes out, the cluster illumination will not function.

Where is the multifunction switch ? I've taken my dash apart and i tryed to work with the dimmer, but i found it rather hard to mess around with, it seems to be built in pretty rock solid and i couldn't figure out how to take the dimmer apart...

Please pardon my mistake. Your dimming circuit and switch is NOT in the multifunction switch. I just realized that yours is the early design where the switch is located on the knee bolster. To remove the switch knob, after removing the knee bolster/blocker panel, reach on the back side of the headlamp switch bracket and look for a small button thats spring loaded. Push this button while you twist and pull the knob and it should come off. Using a small needle nose pliers, remove the nut securing the switch then pull the switch over the opening to inspect the wires, terminals and switch terminals.

Did you try replacing the bulb too, sometimes they can look ok when they're really blown. For 5 bucks you can get a test light and ground the clamp end and push the pointy end in through the insulation to see if a wire's hot. You should see if power's getting to the bulb/fixture before paying a mechanic to do it.

I JUST found out that my Back lights dont work when i have my head lights on..... BREAKS LIGHTS WORK.... This is interconnected with my original problem.

Back