normal operating temp vs. towing temp???

absolutemoon

I have a 180 degree thermostat in my 81cj7 258ci. my normal day to day operating temp is between 180-195 degrees. When I am towing approx 1200-1500 lbs the temp will increase as far as 210 deg or so. Is this normal? Would it benifit me to put in an electric fan assembly. Im not a mechanic but, I thought if you put a 180 degree therm. in the engine should run at that temp. Not 30 degrees higher. Am I doing any harm by letting it run upwards of 210 degrees? Thanks. Bryan

No matter what your thermostat is opening at 180.What may help you is a lager radiator.Also a transmission cooler would help also if you have an automatic.I assume you have a factory radiator,if you move up too a 3 core your problem will most likley go away.As far as the temp hitting 210,you are not any damage.I run a 190 stat and during the summer I hit 210 a lot.

I run an electric fan pulling 3300 cfm you could set the temp from 165 to 210. If I keep it at 165 it really cools the jeep well. It was expensive but what a difference.

ideally the temp would be consistant, but it will rise. 210 degree's is nothing to worry about, once you go over 225 though, you should be cautious.

ideally the temp would be consistant, but it will rise. 210 degree's is nothing to worry about, once you go over 225 though, you should be cautious.

I agree; if it goes up from 190* to 210*, you dont really have any issues. This is the difference in temp for me between highway speed and standing at a stop light... My eFan does a pretty good job at maintaining 205~210*. When I wheel (4L down in the mud), the temp does like to climb a bit, but nothing that running the fan permanently on will not cure... Until the radiator gets covered in mud, that is. At that point, only cleaning the radiator cures the problem!

Back