81 cj7 frame parts? rusty rusty rusty

absolutemoon

First off.... I love this jeep... Its like one of my kids (without the tax deduction) I am looking for ideas on fixing or replacing a rusted out portion of the frame. The problem area is in the rear passenger side where the frame mounts to the bumper. Looks like about 5in. worth of nothing on the inside of the frame (closest to the gas tank) and 2in of nothing (rusted out) on the ouside of the frame. Problem is.. I own a small moonbounce company and tow a small trailer with bounces on it every weekend in the summer. (approx 900 to 1400lbs) I can imagine this is not the safest practice being only one side of my frame is structurally sound. Does anyone have a relitively inexpensive way to fix or knows of a replacement parts or website? I dont want to have to replace the entire frame. This is my only mode of transportation so I cant be down to long. Looking at about 2200.00 for new frame that I dont have. Ill wait to hear from you guys. Thanks Bryan

I had a similar situation when I bought my "78 CJ5 in the late "90s....welded in new steel....I & a buddy fabbed some channel to match the bottom of the frame.
Now I think I saw frame parts in one of the 4x4 catalogs recently check 4wdhardware &/or Quadretec.
By the way I have the body off of my Jeep now & just painted the frame....the patch parts are still solid....just saying "it can be fixed".

MORE makes a CJ frame strengthening kit - FP200 1976-86 CJ5, CJ7,CJ8 Rear Frame Plates. You could cut out the rusted section and replace it with something you fab up from angle iron, then weld the more kit overtop that.
_1263121842.jpg

Autorust .com also makes a kit - Auto Rust Technicians - Safe-T-Cap Frame Repair Kits*::*Jeep Kits
41x-f1-12-01.png

Pp 303 of the current Quadratec Summer 2010 catalog may have what you need. All pre-formed, stamped and ready to weld in place once you cut the cancer out. Made for CJ's and YJ frames with cancer in various common areas.

Rick

Where do you live? I have a rolling frame from a '79 cj 7 that I sandblasted and painted in excellent shape. It needs the rear crossmember welded in and has stainless brake lines already installed. There is a 304(semi-rebuilt) sitting in it right now. I'd like to have $600 for the whole thing. I'm in Pennsylvania, just north of Harrisburg.

It depends on how bad your body mounts are on the tub. I just finished putting a tub from a '92 on an '83 frame, and it took me about three days because I had to weld in new captured nuts on the bottom of the tub. If all (or most) of your body bolts come out easily, it shouldn't take too long. You're biggest problem is going to be the engine and drivetrain. If it was me, I'd swap the whole frame instead of patching the old one. I've done both, and patching the frame is usually only a temporary solution. If you're still interested in the frame, e-mail me at tlburd@hotmail.com. I can deliver the frame for a fee. Thanks, and good luck. Troy

Attachments

• jeep frame 001.jpg
    jeep frame 001.jpg
    937.8 KB · Views: 3,869
  • jeep frame 002.jpg
    jeep frame 002.jpg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 4,553
  • jeep frame 004.jpg
    jeep frame 004.jpg
    984.7 KB · Views: 10,482
Back