oil pressure acting up

robo83

i have a 93 wrangler yj, and just recently my oil pressure has been acting kinda funny. i just changed the oil yesterday and ran it and the pressure was fine, got to driving it and when i come to a stop my oil pressure drops a pretty good bit. has anyone ever had this problem, or does anyone know what im talking about?

I'm guessing it's the sending unit. $15 fix, if not cheap enough for a try.

it will be fine sometimes, and others it will drop real low. im not an expert with cars but im not a dummy to them. im just not sure whats up, and my dads not even sure whats up. well hes not even really helpin me so im kinda on my own.

I had the same things happening awhile back. Gauge was doing funky things........it would read REAL high then VERY low at odd times. The gauge will fluctuate according to your engines rpms, but extreme changes low/high are not right. If you try the sender route (and I would) make sure the parts store gives you the right part. I have heard there is some confusion within the part numbers on thier computers. It is a one wire/two thing I think. I would try it first, as it's cheap and won't hurt to replace it anyway. If you find that wasn't the problem, throw the old one in the toolbox as a back-up. Be carefull when wrenching the new one on, as the fitting it goes into is soft brass, and can crack easily. The next problem might be a bad ground in the dash, but if all the other gauges work fine, this is not likely. Later

As the other guys have stated, Sending Unit is most likely the culprit. I had the same problem and that fixed it.

If you put 0w30 oil during the oil change, your oil pressure will drop at idle.
As long as the oil pressure is about 40 or above when running down the road.

Get wheelin

i use 10w30 in all oil changes, and my dad said its fine as long as im gettin oil pressure. it only drops to about 20 ish around idle. i didnt know if that was ok or bad considering when i got it the oil pressure consistantly stayed at 40 ish.

Back