Agressive / Tough Tires (Question)

jusawyer

What does everyone recommend as the most agressive / toughest looking tire, that still would be good for highway driving?

I am looking at the BF Goodrich All Terrains, but was wondering if there was something better.[addsig]

generally speaking, bigger tires look best. what year/model jeep do you have... this will determine what size can fit. do you plan on doing any offroading? if so... will this be dry or muddy conditions?[addsig]

Nate,

I just bought a 2003 Wrangler Sport. I would like to put on 32'' inch tires that look pretty tough. The majority of my driving will be "highway" and not offroad.

Any recommendations?[addsig]

Yeah, Michelin Touring series. JK. What do you mean not offroading? If it's a Street Jeep, then just get the BFG A/T's like you said. They are nice and will last a long time. But you can't fit 32's without some kind of lift. If you're not going off-road, at all, then just get a body lift. Cheap and doesn't really modify stock ride quality. However, this may void your warranty. I would leave it at stock height and put some nice 30 inch A/T's on.

No offroad, you're killin' me here!

:-x [addsig]

Hi C,

I am going to off-road, but the car is still going to have to use it to telecommute 90% of the time. So I am looking for something aggresive, that won't wear out after 30,000 miles.

Any thoughts on the BF Good "Mud Terrain" as opposed to the AT's?

Justin
[addsig]

You started off strong by asking for the wisdom of the board to help. Now here is the key! If looks is what you are after and you want to look like a tough agressive jeep go for some swampers or something but they will wear fast. Plus it will be a waste of some great tires. If you want to match the tread to the main intended use of your ride get some AT's you can still look good and go off road but maintain well on the road. MT's are going to wear faster due to the nature of the beast. less tread in contact withthe road equals more wear. If your off road is very minamal go with some street treads and get more miles and better ride. Tug[addsig]

The BFG MT is aggressive and will last 40,000+ miles. You'll be happy with it or the AT, the MT with the better 'Look' and performance offroad.[addsig]

jusawyer... I had Wrangler ATPs on my 2000 TJ. I never had any trouble offroad and theywere fine on the highway.[addsig]

jusawyer don't you mean commuting not telecommuting. Telecommuting doesn't involve any driving! Oh yeah and jeeps are trucks not cars. As for the tires go with the MUDS![addsig]

I appreciate everyones feedback (especially on the use of the word "truck" instead of "car").

I'm leaning towards 31 inch BF All Terrain's. Do ya'll feel they are tougher looking then the stock 30 inch Goodyear Wrangler's that came with the truck?[addsig]

just another thought....if the tires you have are brand new. Ride them out for a while and use the $800 you were going to spend on tires on a winch, suspension, or lights. The stock tires will do the job just fine off road. If it were me I would "beef" up my jeep another way first[addsig]

Oh yeah and jeeps are trucks not cars.

Just for the sake of argument, what makes it a truck?
Body on Frame design? Many classic cars are body-on-frame.
4wd? Many cars and vans are 4wd these days.

I couldn't think of any other arguments that support/refute this, anybody else? :-D [addsig]

i think most "cars that are 4x are actually all wheel drive. i think that the frame is the key to a car or a truck. if it where a import then it would depend on the automaker and how many of a certain vehicle they are allowed in the country. another reason most forigen cars sold here are made here. import taxes are a bit$$.the suzuki is a good example,they must be classified as a truck to get imported. anyway i think it is the frame that makes it a car or truck. been couped up in the shop all day and i think i have stainless steel poisoning , the only cure.....a cold stering marlin..........odax :cool: [addsig]

Yes you can have your cake and eat it too... check out these tires... I'm getting some baja claws... but see what you like for yourself... Oh and the higher the ply number the longer the tire lasts, I think 6 is the highest...

edited by: Joopin\', Feb 13, 2003 - 06:46 PM[addsig]

The MTX tires are good for giving you the best of both worlds. We have many people who are very happy with them in the mud and on the road. The side lug helps to make them look more aggressive. I personally could never be talked into a BF tire of any sort. We have had very poor luck with them and they look narrow in compared to many other tires the same size.

ecor
[addsig]

>>Oh yeah and jeeps are trucks not cars. <<

Just for the sake of argument, what makes it a truck?
Body on Frame design? Many classic cars are body-on-frame.
4wd? Many cars and vans are 4wd these days.

I couldn't think of any other arguments that support/refute this, anybody else? :-D

the specifications laid down by the Quartermaster Corps, on July 7, 1940, called for:

1. A driving front axle with 2-speed transfer case including provisions for disengaging the front axle drive.
2. A body of rectangular design with afolding windshield and 3 bucket seats.
3. Increased engine power (presumably in respect to the Belly-flopper prototype).
4. Means for towing.
5. 30-caliber machine gun mount.
6. Blackout lighting.
7. Oil-bath air cleaner.
8. Hydraulic brakes.
9. Full floating axles.
10. Wheelbase of 80".
11. Maximum height of 40".
12. Maximum weight of 1275 lbs.
13. Approach and departure angles of 45 and 40 degrees, respectively.
14. Must reach 50 mph on hard surface.
15. Special bracing for a pintle hook setup.
16. No aluminium to be used for cylinder head.
17. At least 4 cylinders.
18. 8 of the 70 vehicles to made had to be four-wheel-steer.

The invitation to submit bids was sent to 135 U.S. automobile manufacturers to produce 70 vehicles and "The Legend Began"

That's one hell of a 'car' gentlemen. :)[addsig]

Just to clarify-

The ply rating of a tire doesn't say how long the tire will last. The number of plies indicates how strong the sidewalls are. Granted, usually a higher number of plies is on a tire that is meant for more heavy duty use, so yes, indirectly is CAN indicate a tire that last longer.

What you want to look for is one of two things-
-load range- scale is up to E, with truck tires usually a D or E, E being a higher load range. The higher the load range, the harder the rubber and thus a longer lasting tire.
-you may also find the scale used for rating passenger tires which rates them on temperature, traction, and tread life. Temp. and Traction rate on a A, B, C, ect.. scale, with A being best. The tread life rates on a number scale, with the higher number being best.

Hope that gives so more information to go on. Also another thing to keep in mind, a mud tire does not roll as easily on the pavement and will hurt your fuel economy slightly. If I were in your shoes, I would buy the BFG All Terrains. They are a nice long lasting tire if you rotate them. I think they would be the best compromise for what you want. The mud tires look cool, but you have to deal with the noise, little worse fuel economy and wearing out sooner too. Just a few things to keep in mind.

Good luck with your quest for tires!![addsig]

Not a car but gets used to often as one! Not a truck a truck is capable of hauling stuff in the "Truck Bed". It is a Jeep the most fun ride in the world and will fill the bill for the folks that want some thing different to drive. Jeep is just a Jeep it can not be any thing else. it is often imatated, but never duplacated! It is not an SUV, or a Hummer, or anything but a Jeep! I have seen em made into blvd. cruisers and they looked great (wasted but looked good) I have seen em striped, streched, and made into rockcrawlers that look nothing like a Jeep any more, Jacked way up in the air with great big ol tires monster Jeeps. Even after all of that you still have a Jeep! the most modified ride in the world. tug
:cool: :-D :cool: :-D :cool: [addsig]

Back