unknown transmission sound.

sdpd646jeeper

i have a 1990 yj with the 4.2, 5 speed. im new to the 4x4 world. I bought it for 5800 bucks with a new paint job and alot of work put into it. A few days ago i noticed that i had a weird sound coming from my transmission area. At first it started out as a whining or winding sound. it has slowly progressed and now has that same sound, a little louder, plus a ticking or clicking sound. the clicking sound is consistent with the rpms. its is also consistent as in it keeps a rythem. so i can tell that it has to be on something spinning constantly, it has about a half second interval to it. i thought first u-joints but i replaced those. thought second transmission fluid low, drained and refilled. i can rule out the transmission itself the best i can by saying that i cant feel it. It shifts fine, no slippage, and you cant feel it in the shifter knob. i have narrowed it to the t-case. possibly the bearing or even the drive chain. like i said im new to 4x4 world and need some veteran assistance.

thank you for your time and help 8)

sounds like it may be a throw out bearing going out

If you can feel it in the shifter, don't rule out a transmission bearing. It could be throwout bearing. It is tough to diagnose a noise over a forum.
Does pushing in the clutch make the sound change?
Pushing in the clutch and putting in gear while stopped (that will stop the transmission shaft from spinning)?
Transfer case in neutral?

Finding out what makes the noise change will help in narrowing down its cause.

you cant really feel the clicking itself. you can feel the vibration from wherever the clicking is coming from. its as if whatever is making the noise is somewhere other than the trans on the driveline. the sound only pops up when the vehicle is moving. the sound is very hard to notice in first and second. its really bad when you are driving and let the jeep coast but keep the rpms up with the speed. you can hear the winding sound really bad then. once you push the clutch in while your moving the clicking stops but the winding is still there. another reason i dont think its the trans itself is because if it was wouldnt you feel it driving wise? especially with the clicking, it would effect the performance wouldnt it?

****correction****

you cant feel the clicking in the shift knob, the closest i can say the clicking sounds like is the beginning of an ujoint. kind of like a binding pop but there is no hesitation. its all one sound. pop-pop-pop

I am not saying that it is the transmission, but you can't rule it out yet.
By "let the Jeep coast", are you saying putting it in neutral?
Does the noise seem to match engine speed or vehicle speed?

Back