New Gas Tank with a Gas Gauge that works on my YJ

Tug-n-pull

Ok I posted a tank patch not to long ago, work real good for a few days. So disregaurd the screw and rubber washer for any kind of a long term repair. However to get you home it is a great ez quick fix. The very best repair I have found is a new tank! /went on today and still have a working gas gauge! I am a new member of the YJ good fule gauge gang. I still will have trouble trusting it! :lol: tug[addsig]

Glad to hear the new tank is working, I had a chevy pick up yrs ago with a hole in the tank and sanded around it then used a plastic epoxy putty to fill the hole, then put a strip of fiberglass over the whole thing then sprayed it with undercoating. It lasted for years............Bullet[addsig]

lol...how did ya pull that one of???( workin gauge) i have replaced my tank and sending unit and mine still dont work....guess it's all in the gauge....lol...well i guess now you can watch your needle go down as the beast aka jeep. :-D ..drinks like an irish bar tender on st patrick day...lol[addsig]

I had pulled the gauge cluster right before the tank was replaced. I took some caned air like you use to blow of the computer inards and give the circut board a good cleaning and it started working. When i canged out the tank i thought oh well that will end this. But it is still working and drinking like an irish bartender on st pattys day! Hehehehe Tug[addsig]

Eh Tug...try taking it off road through some serious bumps and see if your guage still works. According to JEEP, most guages get screwed up after someone has taken it off road. I guess the float gets flooded or something from all the banging around.[addsig]

The tank is an after market basic metal tank from autozone. As for taken it off raod I do about 3 to 5 times a week for about an hour or so. On a good day we get to make a day of it, always Pretty rough, rocky, steep, muddy, and fun. I use my jeep as a jeep as much as i can and drive like a crazy person on the road the rest of the time. If it quites tomorow that will be alright I know how to gauge my mileage vs. fule needs as i did befor it fixed it's self. hehehe I just got lucky i guess tug[addsig]

Okay, peeps
Time to resurrect a dead thread... :-D

I finally broke down and got my tank replaced on my CJ-7 and what do you know... I now have a working fuel gauge!!! :-O :-O :-O
They just replaced it with a used metal tank and replaced the sending unit.
Of course the skid plate needed to be replaced as well due to rust, so i also have a shiny new skid plate under the ass of my jeep now.

I was talking with the guys at the jeep shop about this problem and apparently ONE of the reasons why this is such a common problem is because the stock tanks are plastic and the sending units have little to nothing to ground against, so they rely heavily on the stock wiring (which is pretty crappy quaility wire to start with)
In addition, the sending unit float is prone to filling with fuel and sinking to the bottom of the tank.

...Of course us CJ owner don't have it NEARLY as rough as with the YJ fuel tanks... Some brain surgeon at AMC decided for that generation it would be a good idea to stick the fuel filter INSIDE the tank on the sending unit arm so that you have to drop the tank to replace the filter!!!! :-x

Anyhoo.. I'm all happy and stuff now that i can once again enjoy the simple pleasure of watching the fuel meter WORK for a change...

... Hmm... I wonder if i can now fill the tank at a proper filling station without having to hold the nozzle half way out of the hole so that it doesnt keep tripping off the pressure sensors... :-? [addsig]

Back