help with towing...

LVRockCrawler

i'm moving from vegas back to orlando to take care of my mom (she's 84 and thinks shes half that age...) but i'm going to tow pigpen behind my rent a box with my towbar... here's my plan... pull the drive shafts and make sure the axles are topped off w/good lube.. rotate and balance the tires and air them up to spec... any other suggestions or comments?
its been a long time since i've been on here or done anything w/the jeep after the divorce 1.5yrs ago.. i was going to sell her but just cant do it (yea... the jeep.. not mom... hehehe!) ... i'm moving to a place thats much easier to keep the jeep going (no smog check and much cheaper parts and registration...)
any ideas or (more important) letting me know i'm doing it right is appreciated...
thanks! and i'll see ya on the east side!

Pulling both of the driveshafts is a good idea. Just be aware that in many (all by now??? ) states it is illegal to flat tow with no brakes on the "toad" . Since you're going across the country you might try to see which states are illegal. For this info you might search some RV forums or the Good Sam club. They should know what's up with "toads" these days. Wow, you are going the extremes... From one of the least humid places to one of the most humid. Best of luck on your move and drive safe... -John

I would recomend putting a dolly under the front wheels. Not sure how much they rent for but it couldn't be as much as a front set of tires. I flat towed my jeep 3 hours and I guess the wheels must have been turned silghtly because that trip burned about 40% of my tread off.

When I tow my CJ or my Wrangler I run a strap or bungie from the steering wheel to the seat mount. That way the wheels can turn enough to follow around sharp corners but will return to straight & track correctly...I've towed on trips of 300-400miles each way with no problems & no significant front tire wear.
Pulling the drive shafts might be a good idea,but I just leave the trans in gear & the transfer case in neutral like the owners manual says.

Like crazy4diesels said, i'd check on the rv forums. They have towing figured out. I've pulled my old jeep behind the rv a few times but we always used a dolly. I've done both, transmission in gear xfer case in neutral and pulled the rear shaft. As easy as it is I always preferred to pull it for peace of mind but didn't notice a difference at all in how she towed. They might offer a package deal on a dolly/ rent a box too.

When I first got 'Black Betty' she was up in Halfway, Oregon (halfway to hell as it turned out) loaded 'er up on a tow dolly and drug 'er all the way to Albany, Oregon (about an 8 hour drag). Only after I got her home did we find that the PO had welded the inner wheel bearings to the one piece axles (apparently he was having trouble with the axle spitting out) and in so doing tweaked the entire assembly. In the end had to pull a D44 from an older rig.

I'm pretty sure tow dollies have surge brakes. Towing laws vary by state but once you're over 2000 lb., every state requires trailer brakes of some kind.

Yes, a tow dolly would get you less wear on the Jeep AND brakes to make it legal. Here in Mass you can go up to 3000 pounds without brakes BUT, if you have more than one axle you need a break-away brake. -John

I have flat towed both my 90 and now my 99 Wranglers all over. Towed the 90 for just over 3000 for a family vacation in a two week span. Plus drive it for another 1000 miles at different spots like Yellowstone and Moab. The 90 was a stick and the 99 is an automatic. In the 3 or so years I have owned the 99 I have towed it about a dozen times, each trip about 300 miles or so with no issue. Just make sure the transfer case is in Neutral and your good to go.

I also have added a separate wiring system for the lights. Ran a harness from the front with a 4 pin socket to separate bulbs installed in the rear tail lights. You can fit the same style light bulb sockets right next to the factory ones and run the same bulbs. Now I always have a spare bulb.

Oh and most important, don't forget to make sure you have the steering lockout disabled. For the 90 and the 99 I just needed turn the ignition one click forward.

Braking system. You can find some nice used ones on Craigslist for about $500.

I say put it on a trailer. depending on who you get the truck from, penski and uhaul both have car haulers for cheap cash, like $100 for a weekend. save your tires and save the hassel.

I say put it on a trailer. depending on who you get the truck from, penski and uhaul both have car haulers for cheap cash, like $100 for a weekend. save your tires and save the hassel.

X 2. Save the hassle and put that bad boy on a trailer. That way if you have problems on the road it's the rental agency’s responsibility to get you going again and when you do arrive your jeep is ready to go.

Back