Taurus fan question

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
Who has a good source for a 75 amp continous duty SPST bosch or tyco relay?

Napa-nothing
Autozone-nothing
Spartan Auto(local company)-nothing

I found a couple internet company's selling, just want to do some price comparison.

Gracias

Do you ever get JP magazine? In the July '10 issue they kinda debunked the myth of high amp draw at startup of the Taurus fan, stating you can get by with quality 30amp Bosch relays. Randy states that the initial high draw only happens for milliseconds, was difficult to measure, and most quality relays can handle the lightning fast surge. From a cold start, he measured a 6.15a draw on low and 9.95a on high, 4.54a continuous on low and 6.55a continuous on high.

I went to the wreckers and popped out a few 30 amp Bosh relays from the multi-function relay box that is mounted at the front over the radiator in 90's model Taurus's.

I agree with Bounty. Start-up current or "lock-rotor" current happens for only a cycle or two at the most. The "continuous duty" rating is what you need to be concerned about. I wire motors all the time at (electrician) that have a higher full load amperages (F.L.A.) than the breakers/fuses/wire are good for. Most motors (typically non-automotive) require time-delay fuses and breakers to "over-ride" start-up currents.

@Bounty Hunter-LOL!I read that article from Randy!As an aside,I did car audio for almost 20 years,and pretty much all you need is a conventional Bosch or Hella 30 amp relay!I wired a Taurus fan up for a friend about 10 years ago,using only a Bosch relay,in his 9.90 race car.To this day,it lives and works well!Gotta love that jP mag!

I've read some pretty harsh criticism of Randy's 'expertise', so I don't take it all as the truth, just throwing it out there.

The only offroad Rag I get is Crawl, I haven't looked at a copy of JP in years, not since a couple of the JP guy came on a trail ride with my club, bunch of pre-madona's plus half the tech in the mag is half assed anyways.

Not sure if JP's inital draw reading is accurate or not, but the ford specs on the fans start up amperage draw is what I am going to build it for. I would prefer to do it properly than put in a relay that should work.
With my luck, my fan will actually draw the full 69 amps at start up and fry the relay leaving me in the woods overheating.

I upgraded my fan 2 months ago. Put in a 1994 3.8L Ford Taurus two speed fan for $50 including my wiring and connectors. I have a regular 30 amp Bosch relay and 10 gauge wiring running throughout. 16 gauge running the switch. It works great. I was able to tow my 1944 Willys trailer without any problems. My next little upgrade is going to be getting the Delta Current Control module so it can run automatically. The Bosch 30 amp works just fine for this project.

Back