how hard is it to change t-case fluid and fuel filter

elblancoYJ

i have a 95 YJ 2.5 with about 80000 miles on it. i think its time to change my t-case fluid and my fuel filter. Has anyone done this before and is it cool to do or do i need to take it in to the shop. halla back! :-? [addsig]

Are you mechanically inclined? Changing the T/C oil is like changing the engin oil. Find the drain plug, usually the lowest sopt on the t/c, you may have to do something to keep the oil from hitting the skid plate and running wild. (don't know much about how the underbelly looks on the 4 bangers) then add the proper amount into the fill hole.
The fuel filter, should be located in the tank, it'll require a little more work.

edited by: jprtroy, Feb 14, 2003 - 01:33 PM[addsig]

The fuel filter is on the rear frame rail on the driver side under a skid plate just in front of the rear wheel well. Be sure to relieve the pressure in the lines before taking the fuel filter out. To do this, there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail on the engine. Looks like a tire air valve. Otherwise the system will back flush and shoot gas out. Put some shop towels or rags under the relief valve and over the valve or you'll squirt gas all over your intake. You may want to pinch off the lines to and from the fuel filter. i remember getting hosed pretty good. Also, the filter itself is full of go-juice, have a towel or some rags ready.

The T-case drain and fill plugs are on the front of the T-case housing. Top one is for fill (open it first), then open the drain plug (just below and to the left). Drive in 4 HI to warm the oil before draining.[addsig]

Its easy if you have a screw driver and the right size wrench...................to easy............... :-O :-O :-O [addsig]

Make sure you have the right oil first (Mercon or Dexron II ATF) and enough of it. Drive around for about 15 minutes to warm up the oil so most of it will drain out. Looking from rear to front, on the driver's side of the t-case on the lower left side will be a drain plug. It's a roughly 1 1/4" hexagonal bolt-looking plug. (Make sure you have a wrench big enough to unscrew it; 10" long wrench'll do). Drain the oil from there. Replace the plug. To the right and slightly higher will be the fill plug. It looks similar to the drain plug. Be prepared to have a vacuum or pump device (about $11 at Autozone), since filling it will be difficult with a funnel. Fill it until just a little oil starts to leak out the filler hole. Replace the fill plug. Drive around and check for leaks. You're done.

Don't know much about the fuel filters on your model YJ.

edited by: MadMiracle, Feb 15, 2003 - 09:57 AM[addsig]

Back