How the heck to remove both shift levers?

M G D

My first jeep and I'm lov'n it, you can reach everything and it makes sense, usally, the way it's engineered, built and fits. Mine is a '93 YJ w/ 2.5 liter 5 spd manual.. & here's the question. I recently pulled the shift boot & seperate "gasket" underneath intended to block vapors, noise etc, which it wasn't. I patched the gasket cause I couldn't find one to buy(?) now I need to pull the shift levers to install the boot & "gasket" but can't get the levers to come loose. Haynes is no use & my old friends don't talk jeep.. any one know how to getting those shift levers out, & back in? Any answers, questions? Thanks, MGD in Bremerton, WA

I looked online and it may look like there are some shims at the bottom of the lever. That's the best I could find so if it doesn't help I apologize.

0907_4wd_07_zthe_transfer_casedana_-1.jpg
Theres a set screw on one of the fingers holding the shifter pin remove that

than loosen the short treaded spot on end of pin were grease fitting is than pull out pin take note on how the shims are placed so it goes back the same way

I think there are 2 bolts that bolt the t-case shifter to the shift lever, the transmission, don't really know but I think it is 4 bolts holding the lever to the top of the case. But like BH said, just take the shift knobs off and slip it over, it's the proper way to do it.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions, and to Dave for a picture, it was worth a 1000 words. A couple of you suggested simply removing the shift knobs & slipping the boot and "inner gasket" (anyone know where to buy this item?) up & off, I wish could have been that ez. The problem I ran into was the shift lever for the transfer case starts out as a square piece of stock where it attatches to the shift tower & the stock is larger than the opening provided through the "gasket". So after I put the effort into patching it up, unless I could buy one, I want to be gentle & the only way not to damage it is to remove the levers, place the gasket & reinstall the levers, anyway that what it looks like to me. Thanks for everyone's help & idea's, keep 'em comin' if you think of anything else. I'd really like to buy that gasket if anyone knows a source, thanks. MGD, B'town WA

this is 95 YJ...if it's the same,

the square hi/lo lever was a push on with plastic keepers that snap in place...the plastic is brittle so likely it's buy a fresh coupling piece.

the shift lever was a snap ring.

Don't reference 54cj3b's pic, that's for older jeeps, not your Wrangler linkage.

The transfer case shifter is a bear to separate, I've never been able to do it. It's a 2-piece shifter held together with a metal clip over a rubber bushing. I think the transmission shifter is similar at the base.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions, and to Dave for a picture, it was worth a 1000 words. A couple of you suggested simply removing the shift knobs & slipping the boot and "inner gasket" (anyone know where to buy this item?) up & off, I wish could have been that ez. The problem I ran into was the shift lever for the transfer case starts out as a square piece of stock where it attatches to the shift tower & the stock is larger than the opening provided through the "gasket". So after I put the effort into patching it up, unless I could buy one, I want to be gentle & the only way not to damage it is to remove the levers, place the gasket & reinstall the levers, anyway that what it looks like to me. Thanks for everyone's help & idea's, keep 'em comin' if you think of anything else. I'd really like to buy that gasket if anyone knows a source, thanks. MGD, B'town WA

By "inner gasket" I'm assuming you mean the inner boot between the round boot at the base of the shifter and the outter boot viewable from the interior of the jeep.

I found mine at Morris 4x4 Center (online), part number: 53005554. It's listed as an Inner Shift Boot - Transmission and Transfer Case.

Watch out for those dates on those threads before ya reply to them.

Back