Good idea or a stupid thing to do?

nutznky

I have had a few people tell me that I can weld up my front axle instead of installing a locker. I just bought my jeep and it is my daily driver and I do not want to screw it up by doing something stupid to it. My buddy has one that has been welded for two years and he swears his works great with the only problem being decreased fuel mileage. Seems to me it would eat the tires up and I just installed a brand new set of 33-15-15 baja claws on it(1000 bucks) and sure do not want to have to replace them in nine months. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am new to this and just gettin in to wheelin. I love my old jeep and don't want screw it up. Seems most of you guy's know your stuff on here so I value your opinion. Thanks for your help, Ryan:D

You can weld it up, ran my '95 YJ that way for years until I replaced it with a heavier front axle and a spool. As long as the front axle disconnect is working properly and your front driveshaft is balanced, you will not notice it onroad in 2wd.

Now offroad in 4wd you will notice it more difficult to steer as the front wheels will always be turning the same speed, one won't be able to slow down to turn. You can compensate for this by installing either a manual vacuum switch to the front axle disconnect or converting to a cable disconnect. This allows you to manually disconnect the passenger side axleshaft to run in 3wd to make turning easier.

I run a spool in my front d44, with a cable disconnect.

Back