How bad did I screw up my YJ?

rdubya

I was leaving on vacation this morning and flat towing my 95 4.0, 5 speed YJ. I put the transfer case in neutral, trans in 1st, unlocked the steering, break off. It didn't feel quite right so I checked to see if everything was supposed to be. Long story short I got up on the freeway and saw smoke. Pulled over and tried to start it. Sounds like the starter is just spinning and either the trans or engine is froze up, it won't move. I have a small oil leak coming from the trans or rear of engine. Any ideas as to how bad I screwed up.

Did you verify the t-case was in neutral? With the t-case in neutral I leave the transmission in neutral also. It sounds like the transfer case was not in neutral.

That is what my first impression was, transfer case. Of course every other time I made sure that the t-case was in neutral, this time I just took it for granted, usually I start the engine let out the clutch and make sure it doesn't move (not this time though). My biggest concern is why will the engine not start? And why the check engine light?

I've always been told to put the x-fer case in neutral and leave the transmission in 5th gear for lubrication. 5th gear in case the x-fer case slips out of neutral it will put less stress on the drivetrain as a whole. Where was the smoke coming from? Dragging the tires or was it turning the motor over as you were pulling it?

I don't know where the smoke was coming from. I noticed it when I turned to get on the freeway. I was pulling it behind my truck with a slide in camper so it wasn't visible unless in a turn. The tires were turning but I don't think they were turning very fast. I tried to get into it this evening but wrong tools and still ****ed (at myself).

With the t-case in neutral I leave the transmission in neutral also.
This can ruin a transmission as it can be allowed to spin without pumping any fluid for lubrication. If all else fails, read the owner's manual, and for Wranglers the transmission should be in either park (auto) or in gear (manual).

I used to tow with a dolly before I got my flat deck, I used to pull the rear drive shaft for the reason mentioned above.

if you saw smoke, my best internet guess would be it was from the tires. depending on how long you were driving, just a couple miles, I doubt you hurt the motor. if we're talking 10 miles plus, then you most likely scored the cyl walls since the motor would be cycling with out oil. a common problem with np231 is that the shift fork wears, I am guessing that you thought it was in nuetral, but still had spline engagement in the t-case.

Back