Clutch failing signs?

seb

TJ, 2002, 4L, about 100000mi on it, manual trans

Hi,

A few weeks ago, I noticed that when I parked the Jeep on a small hill, turn if off, put it in 5th or reverse, let the clutch go, it would roll a little bit before coming to a full stop.
This weekend, I parked it on a small hill and when I let the clutch go, the Jeep started to roll and there were clunking/jerking noise from the transmission. After pressing the clutch and reengaging the gear (can't remember which one), the Jeep rolled again for 1 foot and then finally stopped.
I have not noticed any slippage while driving.

Is this an early indication that I need a clutch replacement?
Any test I should do?

Thanks

Seb

I haven't had clutch issues in my TJ (yet, 42,000 miles on the clock). However, in my old Mazda's, the first time I would notice clutch issues was during driving. Particularly, I was on a highway and going up a hill (not a major grade) and I noticed some slippage. You might also have trouble getting it into gear without grinding. I don't know that rolling backwards slightly would be an indication of clutch problems, but I'm not an expert.

I do have to say that if the Jeep is already in gear and rolls backwards (or forwards) I don't see how it could be the clutch because it's already in gear. I don't see how a bad clutch could cause the transmission to come out of gear. It could cause slippage between the engine and gearbox (i.e. even though you're in gear, when you apply power the clutch due to wear cannot transfer power from the flyweel to the drivetrain)... I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't see how what you're describing is a clutch issue, but I'm not exactly what you'd call an expert ;).

It sounds more like that the transmission is not properly engaged in the gear and your hearing a grind due to a partial engagement. The assumption that it could be the clutch is not possible since it doesn't slip when your driving it. In theory, a lack of compression in the engine, similar to removing all the spark plugs, with enough rolling force due to a decline, the transmission can turn the engine over when in gear however, it will not make a grinding noise .

Have to agree with everyone else.....the symptoms you mention don't tell me your clutch is going. Slipping and/or "chattering" when engaging would be my first tell-tale signs that it's time for clutch work. My '03 TJ has 150K on it, still on the factory clutch (serious knocking-on-wood going on here) and still showing no signs of "time to spend some money!!". Mine will move a bit on inclines (always has) so I just make sure to engage the ebrake. Hope that helps ease your mind a bit.

Back