Older cj7 door help

JMullineaux

Ok so for all you people that have the cj7 doors that have the handls that rotate not the padle handles and the latch the just slides on the body and has no striker then you probably know about the cracks right next to the wingwindow i want to modify this so it has some saport. If anyone has any ideas or pictures pleas send them to me or post them and if anyone has ever done this then pleas send me pictures of what you did.

Well John, i'm happy to report that i don't have the same door you do however, i'm sad to report that the paddle and striker type doors also suffers the same illness. My fix was cutting a strip of a thicker sheet metal with rolled edges for extra ridgidity. I had to gut out the entire window and regulator off the door and cut the upper section of the interior sheet metal to gain access to the inside of the door on the top section. I then shaped the re-enforcement sheet metal strip from front to rear and welded it with a mig welder. I then re- attached the section i had cut off and welded it back on. I tack welded the cracks outside then grounded it down smooth and painted it. No issues so far.

I do about the same as SH, kind of a pain but it works. I also add a teflon pad to the bottom rear of the door opening in the tub. It helps support the door when closed.

Back