'82 258 cylinder head bolts (7/16's)

RoyH

1st, a thank you in advance because I've seen how patient you guys ca be.
7 yrs ago I got my cj8, fuel tank straps broke on the short ride home, fuel pump, blah blah.
Thought I was going to be adjusting rockers because of the tapping up top.
Just got "permission" to get to work on it and found 1 push rod thrown, another bent, lifter sitting on it's side in the block and of course it ran like that.
Pulled head, cured lifter issue but have a hard time finding the head bolts to replace these. Easy to find 1/2 (part # 112-3601) but stuck find this year's 7/16 set.
Only 1 stud looked hinky. Looks like a prior head removal included an exhaust bolt a bit too long so it chewed on the threads. Maybe the guy knew and put the bolt in after installing the head.
Looking for bolts but would like absolutely ANY advice as I'm sure to do things at least twice.

no one has had to replace a Scrambler head, ('82)?
I've measured each bolt and stud and will head out to an Elder bolt dealer in Unadilla.

Terry thanks for the help
By the time I get these bolts I'll be able tell where the best deal is.
Started by measuring each stud/bolt/thread. That seems to simplify everything. Was also quoted $150. Not ready togive in yet.
Thx again

Too bad you pulled the head. I have fished the lifter back into the hole with a coat hanger and magnet

Have decided to replace the lifters and push rods and "live dangerously" and reuse the bolts except for the 1 stud that got boogered by the too long exhaust manifold bolt. Will replace that stud.
Unless, in my appeal into the void, someone can suggest where to get a full new set.

ARP sells headbolt kits as well as Tacoma screw. The left rear on mine was snapped off by the previous owner and aside from a slight antifreeze leak out the hole (now sealed with seal-all glue) it's been fine. Found it when I did away with the plastic valve cover. Now I'm pulling the head to put on a 4.0L head and EFI in my '82 Spirit of the Eagle (making it into an SX4 from 2WD Gremlin cousin)

how long are they I have a bunch of assorted head bolts in my bolt bin I'm sure to have something that will work

appreciate the help
did a gypsy deal on the #11 stud (driver's side, 1st stud) by tacking a bolt atop another grade 8 the right length. Using the rest of the originals.
Glad I did pull the head because a clip was out of 1 lifter that I couldn't see till they were all out. So new lifers in, cleaned everything up and back in place. Will probably get it all back together in the next day or so.
Looks like a rebuild (130k miles) was done but must have gotten slack somewhere along the line. Like I think I mentioned, was running on 5 cylinders with 1 push rod out completely a bent push rod on #1 intake.
Of course I'm gettin' ahead of myself but thinking about the "'82 F-150 6 cyl/300 cid distributor and coil up grade" (low tech enough for me to not screw up) and maybe the 4.0 head somewhere down the line.
This way I'm avoiding all the other obvious things that need fixing.
(note my enthusiasm doesn't make me a mechanic but I not in a rush).

Back