Problems Starting

brutusbuck

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L. The other day it would crank and everything sounded normal, but it wouldn't start. It was about 28 degrees farenheit outside, so I thought it was probably because it was cold. Then I went out and got some Starting Fluid, tried it again, but it wouldn't start. I then waited for about 5 hours and it started. I ran for about 5 days. Then I parked it and allowed it to sit for 24 hours and this morning it wouldn't start, so I sprayed some starting fluid, and it still won't start.

Does anyone have advice on what could possibly be doing this?

It really isn't that cold outside and it ran fine for the past week, after I got it started.[addsig]

its most likely a sensor that its dying. do a self-diagnostic test on your ECU and see what sensor is going. this happened to my XJ and it was the crankshaft position sensor...[addsig]

I agree with Dingus. Even though I have a 90' YJ 4.2, I had the same problem you're describing. It would crank but never fire up and keep running. It would take 200-300 turns of the key to finally get some results. What was strange was sometimes it would only start on the first try when the engine was dead cold.

Whatever model Wrangler, the problem seems to be in the ignition system. Mine consisted of an MCU (micro-computer unit), an ignition control module and a distributor coil. I had everything replaced (all junkyard parts, but the stuff I had in before the replacements truly was junk) and I haven't had a problem firing it up since.

With all due respect to Dingus, PCM, ECM; it's the same thing. Since yours is a 2.5L 2000 the computer, I believe, is referred to as the PCM - just so you know if you have to order parts or whatever. A good Jeep service center will or should already know. So, the igition system you have consists of the PCM - Powertrain Control Module{it's on the driver's side firewall}, a distributor and a coil. It sounds like the problem is somewhere in that system.

edited by: MadMiracle, Feb 16, 2003 - 12:17 PM[addsig]

Hey Mad Miracle,, Did you ever have a problem with your YJ just shutting down out of nowhere. Sometimes it does it at idle and sometimes on the highway. I have tightened and cleaned all of my connections. I am going to change out the ICM tomorrow. I believe this will cure the problem......at least I hope so !!!

:-? [addsig]

hey sandrat...funny you mention the highway...one time i was in my 85 cj with a 4.2 (same exact wiring and everything as a yj up to '90)...and of course i was showing off to some other dorks of my age, next thing i know i'm at about 75 (with the top and doors off mind you) and the thing just dies...out of nowhere, just cruising and it died. Of course with my luck all those kids passed me by laughing, pointing, ya know the works!...as soon as they cleared the horizon...i gave it a quick turn of the key and it started up like the beast it is. To this day it never happened again, don't know if it was heaven sent to get back at me for messing with the kids or if my cj just decided to hate me for those 2 mins...but either way it wasn't my favorite vehicle at the time![addsig]

I hope the other vehicle didn`t have any ladies in it, that would really put the salt in your wounds ! :-D [addsig]

Oh yeah. After 15 minutes of flawless driving, my YJ just cut out from under me and it wouldn't start up again. I nearly completely spent the battery to get it going. After a friend of mine towed me home, I recharged the battery and afterwards let my Wrangler just sit overnight. I thought I had the problem fixed when I replaced a relay, but it wasn't. The next day I went to try and start up my Jeep and it fired right up, but days later it would take 200-300 turns of the key to get it going. I never flooded the engine. I'd pump a couple times, and turn the key for about 20 tries without pumping until I heard the engine getting weak in the turnover. I'd try that pattern again, again and again until finally the engine woke up. I had the ignition system replaced and now it always fires on the first turn of the key, AND it never cut out from under me again. Replacing the ignition control module might do it, but that's only one component of the 3 main components. I'd rather have the problem diagnosed than doing it by process of elimination by replacing what could be perfectly fine parts. I'm not good with diagnostics, though. I went to a friend of a friend who owns a service center and he diagnosed it for me.

P.S. I also noticed that when I pressed down on one of the wires (ground, I think?) of the ignition coil connector on the ignition coil tower itself, the engine would stumble and stall out immediately. I keep that wire up so it doesn't happen. There maybe other electrical components that are shorting out in the system. I found one of the electrical connectors that's supposed to hook up to the choke for the Carter stepper-motorized carbs (I have the non-stepper motorized version) that was shorting out on the manifold, and stalling the engine. I got a tie-wrap and kept it far from any metal. I only had the igition system replaced after all of these things were taken cared of.

Let me know how things go.[addsig]

MM,,, So far so good. I already knew the coil was good since I just installed the TFI conversion last month. I did the nutter Bypass a few months back so that took the ECM out of the picture. When it started shutting down I went through all of the ignition wiring. Where there were butt connected splices I soldered and shrink tubed. The last step was the ICM just for piece of mind. It`s been two days and not a hint of shutting down yet. As I type this I am knocking on my table ;-) [addsig]

I have a 98 tj with a 4.0 doing the exact same thing, let me know what you find out [addsig]

Back