Riser Motor Mount Question

Jason4x4

Hey guys,

I've talked about my TJ build on here before. Yesterday I ordered a JKS adjustable rear trackbar (with relocation bracket for CV driveshaft) to go with my Rough Country adjustable front trackbar I bought a couple weeks ago, and JKS Quicker sway bar disconnects from 4WD Hardware. The only parts left that I need for "Stage I" of my build is the Skinny Pedal belly pan, SYE kit/driveshaft, 1" body lift and 1" riser motor mounts.

I was looking at the riser motor mounts on 4WD's website yesterday, and I see they have a kit from JKS that is basically a 1" spacer for the stock motor mounts. It's not a huge savings (only about $30 difference), but I was wondering what advantages/disadvantages running the whole new mounts vs. running the spacers would be? I'm leaning towards buying the whole new mounts since $30 in the grand scheme of things isn't that big of a deal, but I just thought I'd ask.

In a few weeks I'll be able to grab the body lift/motor mounts, then hopefully next month I'll get the SYE kit and belly pan, and then I'll finally be able to do something with this pile of parts that's been building up in my storage building for the last year or so 8).

I can't really comment on the spacer vs new mount question other to say I'd prefer the entire mount.

Let me know how your rear trackbar install goes. I went to install a bracket on mine the other day and had a heck of a time trying to get the old rear trackbar off. The gas tank was in the way of my socket wrench, and everything seemed to be difficult to access. Maybe just me though...

I'll let you know about the rear track bar installation. Another question I forgot to ask in my first post: Is there any point to using REAR swaybar disconnects? Does anyone make such a thing? I understand that disconnecting the front sway bar nets something like 5-7" of additional travel in the front but it's much less in the rear (I want to say something like 2"). Just wondered if anybody has any rear disconnects and if it's worth the trouble.

I don't think you will need the rear trackbar bracket if using an adjustable trackbar, but I could be wrong. I've never used an adjustable in the rear, only the brackets.

You gain nothing by disconnecting the rear swaybar, and lose a lot of stability onroad and off. Leave it connected, there's a reason nobody makes disconnects for the rear.

As for the motor mounts, have you seen: Brown Dog Offroad

I use a 1" motor mount spacer from Welcome to GOFERIT Offroad! mainly due to the price, hard to beat.

Jason,
What did you end up doing? I think that I'm going to pickup some of the Brown Dog Offroad mounts that Bounty suggested.

I haven't done anything yet... The UCF belly pan is arriving today, then tomorrow I'm sending the belly pan, springs, control arms, and track bars out for powdercoating (sorry if it's not your taste, but I'm a sucker for "Champion Red").

I've been looking at the Brown Dog mounts as well as the JKS mounts from 4WD Hardware. I may end up going with the JKS mounts simply because it would make shipping easier as I have a couple other odds and ends I need to order from 4WD anyway and the price is similar. I might change my mind and go with the Brown Dogs though. Which are you thinking about - Polyurethane or the rubber ones?? I'm not sure which would be better.

At this point, I have the mounts/body lift and the PORC SYE kit to order and then once I get everything back from my powdercoat guy it'll finally be time to get my hands dirty - and none too soon, as I now have not one but two blown shocks and my stock swaybar end links on the front are in pretty sad shape so the Jeep isn't too much fun to drive right now.

I just bought the Brown Dog rubber mounts. I read some posts that lead me to believe that the poly mounts would transfer vibrations (one guy talked about his side mirrors shaking after the install).

I should have mine in a week or two. I can report back then.

FWIW, in my old Mazda I broke an engine mount and replaced them with a set of aftermarket polyurethane mounts and I had heard the same thing about vibrations, but I couldn't really tell a difference to be honest. I wasn't sure about in an off-road environment if having the extra flex of the rubber bushings might be a good thing or not...

I've heard mostly complaints about the poly mounts transferring too much vibration to the rest of the jeep. I'd stick with rubber, may pull the trigger on some Brown Dog mounts someday.

i have a 4 inch rough country lift and i was wondering if i could need lifter motor mounts,i have a sye, but i still blow u joints weekly, the rear end is pointing at the transfer case so i dont know what the problem is, also why do they say to give a measurment for the rear shaft on a 97 tj, and not all other tjs? im not sure, but is it possible to slightly twist a cv shaft, maybe it is and is not balanced anymore.also if i run without the transfer case drop, it virbrates crazy while downshifting, while its on it seems good, but i shouldnt need it with the sye, im tired of thinking, so i ask you!

Last edited:
Back