starting problem

sweetpeet

ok, so everything is done and ready to go! except for one thing, when I turn the key i get this grinding sound from what I think is the selinoid. it goes from battery to this thing then to the starter and distributor. anyone know what's going on??

If it's like a ratcheting noise on the solenoid with the key on the crank position, check the connections on the solenoid and make sure the wires are correctly installed. Another cause for this symptom is a low voltage from the battery. Dont forget to also check the battery terminal connections too.

If it's like a ratcheting noise on the solenoid with the key on the crank position, check the connections on the solenoid and make sure the wires are correctly installed. Another cause for this symptom is a low voltage from the battery. Dont forget to also check the battery terminal connections too.

dang a new battery is going to break the bank but I guess it's gotta be done

ok so thinking that it was the battery (and this doesnt mean that it's not) I tried to jump it but I still got nothing. in fact while I was jumping it I only got a click from the selinoid every time I cranked it and on top of that the jump cables got really hot.

do these new symptoms mean anything else? or do I still just need a new battery?

I'm thinking that there might be something wrong with the way your solenoid is wired up. Are you sure that the start signal wire is on the correct pole?, Also, have you tried to bypass the solenoid to see if the solenoid is faulty?

I'm thinking that there might be something wrong with the way your solenoid is wired up. Are you sure that the start signal wire is on the correct pole?, Also, have you tried to bypass the solenoid to see if the solenoid is faulty?

I know that it is hooked up right because I havent touched it since it ran last. I have tried to bypass the solenoid right to the starter but all I get is sparks.

If the battery voltage is at or above 11volts, that starter should have spun when you bypassed it. This may indicate a starter issue possibly a seized gear or a bad winding on the starter motor.

If the battery voltage is at or above 11volts, that starter should have spun when you bypassed it. This may indicate a starter issue possibly a seized gear or a bad winding on the starter motor.

ok so it was the starter. I went out and bought a new one so now it is cranking but not firing up. I'm having problems getting the fuel into the carb. I have used starting fluid and it fires up a little bit. I do have a broken fuel line from the pump to the carb but it's patched up with another tube. could that part of the problem?

so this is what I got going on...... I'm having trouble starting the engine. it will make the cranking sound followed by a thump from the carburetor. I have replaced the starter and the mechanical fuel pump (and i can hear the diaphragm compressing). I think i'm having trouble moving the gas from the tank to the pump. so that is the first issue that needs to be addressed. next, I poured gas in the gas line from the fuel pump side and I was able to pump that through with the fuel pump but still I get the same sound and issue with my engine.

Make sure the timing is correct. If there is any leaks in the fuel line, the pump would not be able to prime the lines with fuel but instead, with air. Make sure all the lines are tight.

Make sure the timing is correct. If there is any leaks in the fuel line, the pump would not be able to prime the lines with fuel but instead, with air. Make sure all the lines are tight.

how do I make sure that the lines are leak proof?

Disconnect the fuel feed from the carburator and place your finger on the line to attempt to plug it while the engine is cranking. Make sure to keep yourself from being squirted of fuel and free from any moving components from the engine. Since i have an electric fuel pump, you would have to have somebody to crank the engine for you while doing this if you have a mechanical pump. After several revolutions the line should have pressure. If all you get is air, trace the line down towards the tank and locate the rubber lines to locate loose or cracked lines.

Back