Transfer Case Interchangeable?

Jeeper99

Will a Transfer case out of a 97 grand fit a wrangler? I'm pretty sure it is the same NP231. Transmissions are not interchangeable I think, Right :???: Thanks Fellas!

The NP231 is rare in a Grand Cherokee, Grand's usually have a NP242, NP247, or NP249. The only one I would even consider installing in a Wrangler is the NP242, the latter two are too problematic.

Having said all that, it's unlikely the input shafts are the same between the Grand and the Wrangler. You could however remove the input shaft from your TJ transfer case and install it in the Grand transfer case. Then you would have to look at adapting the driveshafts to the yokes on the Grand case and adapting the shifter linkage.

It's doable, but why?

Thanks Bounty. It's not for my Wrangler. I have parted out my dad's 97 cherokee over the past couple of years and a guy was wanting the transfer case for his wrangler because he said he was pretty sure it would fit. I told him I didn't know if it would work or not so I knew the best thing was to ask here. :D

Back