1987 YJ fuel problem

wannamud

Hi, I'm not getting any fuel to the carb. The jeep won't start but if i pour fuel into the carb it does for a few seconds. I can't find any fuel filters on any of the lines. Ther is lots of spark coming from the plugs and it sounds like she wants to start .Help Please.

Last edited:

the fuel filter is onthe driverside onthe frame by the gas tank. thats the first thing and easy to change. haynes repair manual 87-2003 can be very helpful

Sock in the gas tank can be clogged too, OR a DSPO may have bypassed (removed) the filter, which means the inlet valve of your fuel pump is stuck open with crud. I have carefully cleaned the pump with air pressure (12vdc tire pump) and the fuel line off before the carb (so the crap doesn't jam up the carb)

I just purchased a 1989 YJ, The previous owner had had a rebuilt,2bl, Carter Carb just installed. I do not know how well it was installed adjusted, etc. Jeep will start. Fast idle is about 2K. Fast idle last for quite a while even when temperature gauge is reading 180. Once it comes off fast idle it stalls and will not restart until things have cooled and choke is engaged again. I am assuming that if it will run with the choke on when it is cold that gas is flowing. Spark plugs are shooty, rich mixture???? Any suggestion? I would appreciate any help!!:???:

Turn the key but dont start it. Listen for the pump. if you dont hear it. Thats whats broke. If you hear it then follow the lines from tank to engine. probably just the filter though. Or sock just like Carnuck and Tp say.

Thanks, I will try that. Did find one problem that a vacuum line was hooked up to the wrong side of the carb. That took care of thestalling when engine came off fast idle. Choke disconnected. Still have the choke problem. If I hook the spring up the way it looks like it should go, cupping the pin inside the the eletronic choke mechansim, the choke stays closed and eventually floods the engine. Any suggestion????

Unless the 87 has been altered I don't believe it does not have an electric fuel pump.

Back