Why is that hard to find a rear tj dana 44?

nahual

I been in like a thousand yunkyards in southern california area and found nothing but the 35cs. This is kind of weird cause i alway take a look when see a parked tj, i have found many of those having the 44...[addsig]

im not sure, but wasnt the 44 standard on the sahara and only optional on the sport? that could explain why you dont see a lot of them, because there are a lot more SE's out there then anything. Just a thought

Nathan[addsig]

Yes, optional on both the Sport and Sahara, not available on the X and SE. Usually with automatics and 3.73 gears.

You may find a D44 from an XJ, '87 to '89, it's the right width and lug pattern but will need all the brackets welded up. Also came in the MJ with the metric ton package. Probably cheaper out of an XJ or MJ.[addsig]

do you now what year and type of jeep a D44 came in the front that would fit in the front of my TJ? :-D

edited by: ajfrank43, Feb 17, 2003 - 02:56 PM[addsig]

Grand Wagoneer, fullsize SJ with driver's side diff. Not sure on year, as some came with pass. side diff. You need to weld all the TJ brackets on, and the wheel lug pattern is 6-bolt.[addsig]

I bet it would be expensive even if you did find a TJ rear 44...personally I have heard IH scout axles make great F & R D44 swaps for a wrangler.[addsig]

personally I have heard IH scout axles make great F & R D44 swaps for a wrangler.

Rear, yes. Front, no. The front of a Scout had 0* caster, meaning it wanders on the road even in stock form. Tilt the pinion up slightly to alleviate pinion angle on a lifted jeep, and you're at positive caster :-O Can only be remedied by cutting the knuckles from the axle tubes and rotating them for proper caster and pinion angle, then rewelding. :roll: [addsig]

Back